Skip to content

History

1905 slide, "A chemical engineering curriculum first appears in the UT catalog. The curriculum is a mixture of mechanical engineering and industrial chemistry courses."

1935 slide, "1935 Graduate work in chemical engineering is initiated, leading to the degree of Master of Science. Research in support of the TVA fertilizer development program is funded by TVA and facilitated by a well-equipped machine shop supervised by E. H. Honeycutt (known as “Chief”), with salary initially partially supported by TVA."

1939 slide, "1939 The first group of chemical engineering students graduate. The chemical engineering program is accredited by the Engineers’ Council for Professional Development (ECPD) and the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE), making it one of the first four chemical engineering programs in the South to receive accreditation; the other three were at Georgia Tech, Louisiana State University and Virginia Polytechnic Institute."

1947 slide, "Metallurgy becomes an option in the chemical engineering program. Options are also offered in microbiology and nuclear processes."

1956 slide, "The department’s name is changed to the Department of Chemical and Metallurgical Engineering, offering separate degree programs in chemical engineering and metallurgical engineering. The microbiology option had been discontinued, because the key faculty member, jointly appointed in chemical engineering and microbiology, had taken an industrial position."

1960 slide, "The department obtains a sophisticated electronic analog computer through an industrial grant, providing support for instruction and research. Research in the area of process dynamics and control is initiated by Dr. J. W. Prados with support from ORNL, and expanded by Dr. C.F. Moore, who joined the department in 1969 when Dr. Prados left to accept an administrative appointment."

1964 slide, "The department moves into new space in the Dougherty Engineering Building. "

1980 slide, "Dr. C. F. Moore develops a relationship with Eastman Chemical that leads to a senior process control internship that is still continuing today."

1990 slide, "Dr. John W. Prados succeeds Dr. Perona as department head for chemical engineering."

1992 slide, "Mike Harris, a research engineer at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, is the first African-American to receive a Ph.D. degree in chemical engineering at UT."

1997 slide, "The Science and Engineering Research Facility is dedicated; several ChE faculty members move into new lab spaces."

2006 slide, "Dr. Collier accepts a position at Florida State University and is replaced as department head by Dr. Bamin Khomami from Washington University at St. Louis. Dr. Khomami is also named the Armour T. Granger and Alvin and Sally Beaman Distinguished University Professor."

2008 slide, "CBE establishes the Sustainable Technology through Advanced Interdisciplinary Research (STAIR) program, funded through a grant from the National Science Foundation."

2010 slide, "Dr. John Prados is honored with the college’s Nathan W. Dougherty award and a professorship is established in his name."

2011 slide, "The department celebrates its 75th anniversary."

1932 slide, "Dr. Harry A. Curtis, the chief chemical engineer at the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA), impresses upon UT President James B. Hoskins the importance of establishing a chemical engineering program at UT, reportedly saying “Mr. President, you offer a chemical engineering program, but I would not hire any of its graduates.” Hoskins and Curtis agree that TVA will pay half the salary of a chemical engineering professor at UT who will work part-time for the agency."

1936 slide, "The UT Board of Trustees approves the establishment of the Department of Chemical Engineering (ChE) at UT within the College of Engineering, initially housed in Estabrook Hall."

1946 slide, "Chemical engineering research at UT expands rapidly after World War II with the opening of the Atomic Energy Commission facilities at Oak Ridge to peacetime use. New, researchoriented faculty are hired, including H. J. Garber, H. F. Johnson, S. H. Jury and F. N. Peebles in chemical engineering and E. E. Stansbury and W. O. Harms in metallurgy."

1952 slide, "The UT Board of Trustees approves Ph.D. programs in chemical engineering and in metallurgy – the first engineering doctoral programs in Tennessee. The first chemical engineering Ph.D. graduate, Dr. Frank Chance, spent his professional career with Pfizer."

1957 slide, "Chemical engineering work in nuclear processes is transferred to a new Department of Nuclear Engineering."

1960 slide, "Following Dr. Boarts’ sudden death, Dr. Homer F. Johnson is named department head. During his 24- year tenure, chemical engineering grows from 6 professors to one of the larger departments in the engineering college."

1976 slide, "Masters and doctoral programs in polymer engineering are added in the department, led by Dr. James L. White in cooperation with professors D. C. Bogue, E. S. Clark and J. F. Fellers. The department’s name is changed to Department of Chemical, Metallurgical and Polymer Engineering."

1984 slide, "Dr. Johnson retires and the department is split, with polymer and metallurgical engineering now offered in the new Department of Materials Science and Engineering. Dr. Joseph J. Perona is named head of the Department of Chemical Engineering, and Dr. Joseph E. Spruiell, educated as a metallurgist, but contributing to the poly mer engineering program, is named head of the Department of Materials Science and Engineering."

1991 slide, "With support from the DuPont company, Dr. R. M. Counce and Professor Emeritus John M. Holmes establish a capstone design internship program focused on pollution prevention. The program has continued to the present with support from the DuPont, Dow Chemical and Eastman Chemical companies and the Oak Ridge National Laboratory."

1993 slide, "Dr. Prados returns to full-time faculty service and is succeeded by Dr. C. F. Moore as department head."

1998 slide, "Dr. Moore returns to full-time faculty service and is replaced by Dr. John R. Collier from Louisiana State University, the first chemical engineering department head who had not previously served as a UT faculty member."

2007 slide, "The chemical engineering academic unit is renamed the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering (CBE) to reflect changes in the department’s academic and research missions."

2009 slide, "Dr. Thomas Zawodzinski, an internationally recognized leader in the field of fuel cells, joins the department as its first Governor’s Chair in Electrical Energy Storage."

2010 slide, "A team of COE faculty and administrators, including nuclear engineering professor Dr. Wes Hines, CBE department head Dr. Bamin Khomami and MABE department head Dr. Bill Hamel are awarded a $1.8 million grant from the National Science Foundation to fund the construction of state-of-theart research labs in the Dougherty Engineering Building."


The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System and partner in the Tennessee Transfer Pathway.

View our Privacy Policy.