Associate Professor Emeritus
Tsewei Wang earned her PhD at MIT in the field of Biophysics; she later earned a MSc degree in chemical engineering from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, concentrating in application of modern control design methodologies to chemical and bio-technical processes, such as fermentation reactors.
During the last ten years, Wang’s interest has shifted to 1) data mining, process monitoring and fault detection using multivariate statistical methods; and 2) bioinformatics especially in the field of DNA forensics, where DNA is used for human identification. She routinely teaches an introductory graduate applied linear algebra course, which is cross-listed in 5 engineering departments.
- Process Monitoring and Fault Detection Using Multivariate Statistical Approaches
- Bioinformatics of DNA Forensics
- Designing Large Databases for Efficient Searching Purposes
PhD, MIT: Bioinformatics; organization and search in large databases; data mining, process molding and control.
MSc, UT: Controller Design for Bioreactors with Model Uncertainty
- AIChE member
- Sigma Xi Member
Awards and Recognitions
- 2008 University of Tennessee College of Engineering Teaching Fellow Award
- 2008 & 2005 University of Tennessee Department of Chemical Engineering Outstanding Teacher Award
- 1998 University of Tennessee Chancellor Citation of Excellence in Teaching Award
- Wang, T. W., D. Stansberry, J. Birdwell, "Application of Pedigree Likelihood Ratio in Searching for Missing Persons," submitted Forensic Science International, in revision.
- Wang, T. W., J. D. Birdwell, and R. Chakraborty, "Further Remarks on Paternity Analysis in Special Fatherless Cases Without Direct Testing of Alleged Father (FSI 146S(2004) s159-S161, and Remarks on it (FSI 163 (2006), 158-160)," Forensic Science International, 163, 2007, 6-8.
- Wang, T. W., Xue, Ning, Birdwell, J. D. "Least Square Deconvolution: A Framework to Resolve Mixture STR/DNA," Journal of Forensic Science, 51(6), November, 2006, p1284-1297.
- Birdwell, J. D., J. Chiasson, Z. Tang, C. T. Abdallah, M. Hayat, T. Wang, "Dynamic Time Delay Models for Load Balancing Part I: Deterministic Models," in Silviu-Iulian Niculescu and Keqin Gu (eds.), "Advances in Time-Delay Systems," Lecture Notes in Computational Science and Engineering, Vol. 38. Springer Verlag, 2004, pp. 355-370.
- Qi, H., T. Wang, and D. Birdwell, "Global principal component analysis for dimensionality reduction in distributed data mining," Chapter 19, Statistical Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery (H. Bozdogan, ed.), CRC Press, 2003.
- Birdwell, J. Douglas, Tse-Wei Wang, Roger D. Horn, Puneet Yadav, David J. Icove, Method of indexed storage and retrieval of multidimensional information. US Patent 6,741,983, May 25, 2004.
- Wang, Tse-Wei, Ning Xue, John D. Birdwell, Mark Rader, and John Flaherty, Least-Square Deconvolution (LSD): A Method to Resolve DNA Mixtures. US Patent 7162372, issued Jan 12, 2007.
- Birdwell, J. D., Tsewei Wang, and Roger D. Horn. Method of Partitioning Data Records. US Patent 7272612, issued, Sept. 18, 2007.