- Office Address: 322 Dougherty Engineering Building
- Phone: 865-974-2933
- E-mail: email@example.com
- PhD, Chemical Engineering, Louisiana State University, 2005
John Zhanhu Guo is an Associate Professor in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at The University of Tennessee, Knoxville. His current research interests are in the areas of optical, electric, magnetic and dielectric materials for flame retardancy, microwave absorption, catalysis, sensing, nano-kinetics, and electronics.
Guo earned his PhD degree in chemical engineering from Louisiana State University in 2005. He received his three-year (2005–2008) postdoctoral training in mechanical and aerospace engineering at the University of California Los Angeles. He directs the Integrated Composites Laboratory and Chairs the Composite Division of American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE, 2010–2011). Before joining UT, Guo worked as an Assistant/Associate Professor of chemical engineering at Lamar University.
The current laboratory focuses on the fundamental studies behind the multifunctional nanocomposites for energy harvesting, environmental remediation, pollutants treatment and recycling, safety, sensing, and electromagnetic wave treatments (radiation) and applications (heating resources).
Awards and Recognitions
- 2014 Presidential Faculty Fellowship in Support of Undergraduate Research/Creative Activity (research based, one of the only four)
- 2014 Eastern Scholar Professorship of Shanghai
- 2013 Lamar University Research Scholar (research based, one of the only three)
- 2013 Invited Lecturer of 55th anniversary of Beijing University of Chemical Technology
- 2013 Invited Lecturer of Particles 2013, Particles in Composites and Related Advanced Materials, Kettering, Ohio, USA
- 2013 Invited Plenary Speaker in the session of “ Nanotechnology in Corrosion” of National Association of Corrosion Engineers (NACE) – Corrosion Society
- 2013 Co-winner of the Honorable Mention Poster award, International Polyolefins Conference, Houston, Texas
- 2012 Lamar University Merit Award (teaching based, one of the only three)
- 2012 Honorary Professor of Zhengzhou University of Light Industry
- 2012 Co-winner of the First Place Poster award, International Polyolefins Conference, Houston, Texas
- Editor in Chief: Advanced Composites and Hybrid Materials, 2017-present
- Executive Editor: Engineered Science, 2018-present
- Composite Division Chair of American Institute of Chemical Engineers, 2010-2011
- Member of: (1) American Institute of Chemical Engineering (AIChE), (2) American Chemical Society, and (3) The Electrochemical Society (ECS), (4) Materials Research Society (MRS), (5) American Society for Composites, and Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering (SAMPE), and Society of Plastics Engineers (SPE).
- Member of editorial boards of: (1) Journal of Materials Science and Applications, (2) AIMS Environmental Science, (3) Chemical Engineering & Process Techniques, (4) Journal of Analytical & Molecular Technique, (5) Frontiers in Chemistry and Environmental Science, (6) Journal of Nanoparticles, (7) Journal of Nanocomposites and Nanoceramics, (8) Science of Advanced Materials, (9) Progress in Nanotechnology and Nanomaterials, and (10) Journal of Nanomaterials.
- Session Chair or Co-Chair for Sessions of Composites Division of AIChE since 2008; Chair of Composites Division of AIChE 2010-2011.
- Multifunctional Nanocomposites
- Advanced Nanocomposite Membranes
- Fuel Efficiency Improvement and Energy Usage Efficiency Enhancement
- Electrochromic, Strain Sensing and Magnetic Field Sensing Devices
- Electromagnetic Wave Shielding Materials
- Environmental Sustainability and Remediation
- Pollutants Treatment and Recycling
- Industrial/Civilian Safety Materials
- H. Wei, Y. Wang, J. Guo, N. Shen, D. Jiang, X. Zhang, X. Yan, J. Zhu, Q. Wang, L. Shu, H. Lin, S. Wei, and Z. Guo (2015), “Advanced Micro/Nanocapsules for Self-Healing Smart Anticorrosion Coatings,” Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 3, 469-480.
- Q. He, T. Yuan, X. Zhang, X. Yan, J. Guo, D. Ding, M. A. Khan, D. P. Young, A. Khasanov, Z. Luo, J. Liu, T. Shen, X. Liu, S. Wei, and Z. Guo (2014), “Electromagnetic Field Absorbing Polypropylene Nanocomposites with Tuned Permittivity and Permeability by Nanoiron and Carbon Nanotubes,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 118(42), 24787-24796.
- X. Zhang, X. Yan, J. Guo, Z. Liu, D. Jiang, Q. He, H. Wei, H. Gu, H. A. Colorado, X. Zhang, S. Wei, and Z. Guo (2014), “Polypyrrole Doped Epoxy Resin Nanocomposites with Enhanced Mechanical Properties and Reduced Flammability,” Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 3, 162-176.
- H. Gu, J. Guo, X. Yan, H. Wei, X. Zhang, J. Liu, Y. Huang, S. Wei, and Z. Guo, (2014), “Electrical Transport and Magnetoresistance in Advanced Polyaniline Nanostructures and Nanocomposites,” Polymer, 55, 4405-4419.
- B. Qiu, J. Guo, X. Zhang, D. Sun, H. Gu, Q. Wang, H. Wang, X. Wang, X. Zhang, B. L. Weeks, Z. Guo, and S. Wei (2014), “Polyethylenimine Facilitated Ethyl Cellulose for Hexavalent Chromium Removal with a Wide pH Range,” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 6, 19816-19824.
- J. Zhu, M. Chen, H. Qu, Z. Luo, S. Wu, H. A. Colorado, S. Wei and Z. Guo (2013), “Magnetic Field Induced Capacitance Enhancement in Graphene and Magnetic Graphene Nanocomposites,” Energy & Environmental Science, 6, 194.
- H. Gu, X. Zhang, H. Wei, S. Wei and Z. Guo (2013), “An Overview of the Magnetoresistance Phenomenon in Molecular Systems,” Chemical Society Reviews, 42, 5907.
- J. Zhu, S. Wei, S. B. Rapole, H. Gu, Z. Luo, N. Haldolaarachchige, D. P. Young and Z. Guo (2012), “One-pot Synthesis of Magnetic Graphene Nanocomposites Decorated with Core@Double-shell Nanoparticles for Fast Chromium Removal,” Environmental Science & Technology, 46, 977.
- Q. He, T. Yuan, S. Wei, N. Haldolaarachchige, Z. Luo, D. P. Young, A. Khasanov and Z. Guo (2012), “Morphology and Phase Controlled Iron Oxide Nanoparticles Stabilized with Maleic Anhydride Grafted Polypropylene,” Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 51, 8842.
- J. Zhu., S. Wei, M. J. Alexander, T. D. Dang, T. C. Ho and Z. Guo (2010), “Enhanced Electrical Switching and Electrochromic Properties of Poly(p-phenylenebenzobisthiazole) Thin Films Embedded with Nano-WO3,” Advanced Functional Materials, 18, 3076.