Skip to content

PhD in Chemical Engineering


A total of 72 credit hours beyond the bachelor’s degree are required for the PhD degree. These consist of course work hours and research and dissertation credit hours (CBE 600). The PhD is first and foremost a research degree, and emphasis is accordingly placed on completion of a high quality research thesis. In most cases, research suitable for publication in peer-reviewed technical journals is expected.

Specifically, the departmental requirements consist of the satisfactory completion of:

  • A minimum of 36 semester hours in graduate level courses (excluding CBE 600) in chemical engineering and related fields beyond the baccalaureate. These courses must include the five core courses listed below and at least 6 hours of courses at the 600 level from UT.
    • CBE 506 Engineering Analysis, Fall
    • CBE 579 Advanced Biomolecular Engineering, Fall
    • CBE 531 Advanced Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics, Spring
    • CBE 547 Advanced Transport Phenomena, Spring
    • CBE 551 Advanced Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Kinetics and Reactor Design, Spring
  • The PhD qualifying examination, consisting of a written part and an oral part. The written part covers the core fundamentals of the program (see the qualifying exam description in section 6 below), while the oral part is a presentation based on original research.
  • The comprehensive examination, consisting of a written part and an oral part. The written part is the dissertation proposal document. The defense of the dissertation proposal constitutes the oral portion of the exam.
  • A minimum of 24 credit hours of research and dissertation credit in Chemical Engineering 600. Registration must be continuous from the time research begins (see the Continuous Registration requirement in the Graduate Catalog for further details).
  • Successful oral defense of the dissertation before the student’s dissertation committee.
  • Active participation in graduate seminars conducted by the department. Resident students must register for CBE 501 or a departmentally approved substitute every semester offered.

View the Graduate Catalog for more information.

The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System and partner in the Tennessee Transfer Pathway.

View our Privacy Policy.