UT-ORNL Governor's Chair for Biorefining
Arthur Ragauskas held the first Fulbright Chair in Alternative Energy and is a Fellow of American Association for the Advancement of Science, the International Academy of Wood Science, and TAPPI.
He started his academic career in 1989 at the Institute of Paper Science and Technology and in 2003 transferred to the School of Chemistry and Biochemistry at the Georgia Institute of Technology. In the spring of 2014 he joined the University of Tennessee, as a Governor’s Chair in Biorefining. His program is directed at understanding and exploiting innovative sustainable bioresources. This multifaceted program is targeted to develop new and improved applications for nature’s premiere renewable biopolymers for biofuels, biopower, and bio-based materials and chemicals. His Fulbright sponsored activities at Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden were focused on the forest biorefinery and new biofuel conversion technologies for lignocellulosics. He is the recipient of the 2014 TAPPI Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award and the ACS Affordable Green Chemistry award and his students have won several awards, including the ACS graduate research award.
Ragauskas is an associate editor for several journals including Biofuels, Bioproducts and Biorefining, Biofuels, BioEnergy Research, Industrial Biotechnology, Taiwan Journal of Forest Service, TAPPI J., Industrial Biotechnology, Holzforschung, Journal of Biobased Materials and Bioenergy. He has served on several advisory boards and review panels including: Austrian Science Fund, European Commission Research Directorate, National Science Academy, J. Paul Getty Trust, NSF, USDA, DOE, ARAP-E, NSERC, FIRST, TAPPI Research Management Committee, Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO), Swedish Foundation for Strategic Research, Swedish VINN Excellence Center, Swedish Knowledge Foundation, VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, ERA Chemistry, Swiss National Science Foundation, Finnish Academy of Science Norway Research Council, The Technology Foundation STW, Agence Nationale de la Recherche and Singapore Agency for Science, Technology and Research. Ragauskas has been an invited visiting professor at Universidade da Beira Interior, Portugal; Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden; Royal Institute of Technology/ STFi, Stockholm, Sweden; and South China University of Technology, China. He has authored or co-authored 305 technical papers and has contributed to over 300 technical presentations at national and international conferences.
PhD, University of Western Ontario: Physical Organic Chemistry, Advanced NMR.
Awards and Recognitions
- 2014 TAPPI Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award
- 2014 ACS Award for Affordable Green Chemistry
- 2012 Elected American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellow
- 2012 Elected to Academy Board of International Academy of Wood Science
- 2008-2009 Fulbright Distinguished Chair in Alternative Energy
- 2008 Recipient of 2008 William H. Aiken Research Prize
- Sun, Q.; Mandalika, A.; Elder, T.; Nair, S.S.; Meng, X.; Huang, F.; Ragauskas, A.J. "Nanocomposite film prepared by depositing xylan on cellulose nanowhiskers matrix." Green Chemistry (2014), 16(7), 3458-3462.
- Ragauskas, A.J.; Beckham, G.T.; Biddy, M.J.; Chandra, R.; Chen, F.; Davis, M.F.; Davison, B.H.; Dixon, R.A.; Gilna, P.; Keller, M.; Langan, P.; Naskar, A.K.; Saddler, J.N.; Tschaplinski, T.J.; Tuskan, G.A.; Wymane, C.E. "Lignin Valorization: Improving Lignin Processing in the Biorefinery." Science (2014), 344(6185), 1246843-1-1246843-10.
- Huang, F.; Pan, S.; Pu, Y.; Ben, H.; Ragauskas, A.J. "19F NMR spectroscopy for the quantitative analysis of carbonyl groups in bio-oils." RSC Advances (2014), 4(34), 17743-17747.
- Evans, B.R.; Bali, G.; Reeves, D.T.; O'Neill, H.M.; Sun, Q.; Shah, R.; Ragauskas, A.J. "Effect of D2O on Growth Properties and Chemical Structure of Annual Ryegrass (Lolium multiflorum)." J. Agricultural and Food Chemistry (2014), 62(12), 2595-2604.
- Huang, F.; Ben, H.; Pan, S.; Pu, Y.; Ragauskas, A. "The use of combination of zeolites to pursue integrated refined pyrolysis oil from kraft lignin." Sustainable Chemical Processes (2014) 2:7.
- Köhnke, T.; Elder, T.; Theliander, H.; Ragauskas, A.J. "Ice templated and cross-linked xylan/nanocrystalline cellulose hydrogels." Carbohydrate Polymers (2014) 100, 24– 30.
- Hu, F.; Ragauskas, A. "Suppression of pseudo-lignin formation under dilute acid pretreatment conditions." RSC Advances (2014), 4(9), 4317-4323.
- Langan, P.; Petridis, L.; O'Neill, H. M.; Pingali, S.V.; Foston, M.; Nishiyama, Y.; Schulz, R.; Lindner, B.; Hanson, B. L.; Harton, S.; Heller, W.T.; Urban, V.; Evans, B.R.; Gnanakaran, S.; Ragauskas, A.J.; Smith, J.C.; Davison, B.H. "Common processes drive the thermochemical pretreatment of lignocellulosic biomass." Green Chemistry (2014), 16(1), 63-68.
- Li H.; Pu Y.; Kumar R.; Ragauskas A.J.; Wyman C.E. "Investigation of lignin deposition on cellulose during hydrothermal pretreatment, its effect on cellulose hydrolysis, and underlying mechanisms." Biotechnology and Bioengineering, (2014), 111(3), 485-492.
- Trajano, H.L.; Engle, N.L.; Foston, M.; Ragauskas, A.J.; Tschaplinski, T.J.; Wyman, C.E. "The fate of lignin during hydrothermal pretreatment." Biotechnology for Biofuels (2013), 6, 110.
- Chakar, F.S; Ragauskas, A.J., Methods for Reducing Fluorescence in Paper-Containing Samples. Patent # 6,294,047 B1 & 6,387,211 B1 (2001).
- Ragauskas, Arthur J.; Kim, Dong Ho., Metal Substituted Xerogels for Improved Peroxide Bleaching of Kraft Pulps. US Pat. Appl. Publ. (2003), CODEN: USXXCO US 2003019596 A1 20030130 CAN 138:108518 AN 2003:77170.
- Deng, Y.; Yoon, S.Y.; Ragauskas, A.; White, D., Methods and Compositions for Papermaking. US Pat. 7,964,063 B2 (2011).
- David K.; Muzzy, J.; Ragauskas, A.J., Catalytic Pyrolysis of Wood (provisional GT).
- Ziemer, C.J.; Arcidiacono, S.; Ragauskas, A.; Morrison, M., Novel fibro-biotic bacterium isolate. US Pat. Appl. Publ. (2011), US 20110076356 A1 Application: US 2009-569572 20090929. Priority: US 2009-569572 20090929.