Granger and Beaman Distinguished University Professor, Department Head
Bamin Khomami started his independent academic career at Washington University in 1987 as an Assistant Professor and was named the Francis F. Ahmann Professor of Chemical Engineering in 1997. In fall of 2006, he joined the University of Tennessee in Knoxville as a Distinguished University Professor and Head of the Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Department. In January of 2008, he was named the founding director of the Sustainable Energy Education and Research at the University of Tennessee. In 2011, he became affiliated with the Department of Mechanical, Aerospace and Biomedical Engineering. In addition, between 1992 to 2006, he served as a visiting Professor at Stanford University, Universidad Nacional de EducaciÓn a Distancia (UNED, Madrid, Spain), and the Technical University of Denmark.
In the past 25 years, Bamin Khomami has been a consultant to a number of national and international fortune 500 companies interested in development and manufacture of functional and structural materials such as polymeric films and fibers, gels, polymer matrix composites, emulsions, adhesives, etc. Examples, include Dow, 3M, NIKE, Mitsubishi, GE, MEMC, Intel, SACMI Imola, ANSYS, Poly Flow, Cloren and Bryce corporations.
In 2015, he co-founded Celtig LLC to produce high-quality graphene nanoplatelets or flakes (marketed under the trade name Cicarbo™) and to distribute commercial quantities of this line of products to markets worldwide.
- Structure, Dynamics and Rheology of Complex Fluids and Soft Matter
- Multiscale Modeling and Simulation of Complex Systems
- Processing Science of Micro-and-Nano-Structured Material
- Nano and Micro-scale Interfacial Phenomenon.
Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL, 1987
M.S. in Chemical Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL, 1985
B.S. in Chemical Engineering, minor in Mathematics, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, Summa Cum Laude, 1983
- Member of: (1) American Institute of Chemical Engineering (AIChE), (2) Society of Rheology (SOR), (3) American Chemical Society, and (4) American Physical Society (Division of Fluid Dynamics and High Polymer Physics).
- Member of editorial boards of: (1) Journal of Rheology, (2) Journal of non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, and (3) Applied Rheology.
- Guest-Editor of the special issue of Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics devoted to the XIIth International Workshop on Numerical Methods for Non-Newtonian Flows (2001).
- Chair, (2001) XIIth International Workshop on Numerical Methods for Non-Newtonian Flows
- AIChE Fluid Dynamics Programming Committee (1999-Present); Bingham Medal Committee of SOR (member 1999-2000; chair 2000-2002).
Awards and Recognitions
- 2015 Fellow, American Institue of Chemical Engineers
- 2009 Fellow, American Physical Society
- 2007 University of Tennessee College of Engineering Outstanding Faculty Award
- 1993 Camille and Henry Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar National Award
- 1991-1996 NSF, Presidential Young Investigator (PYI) Award
- 1983-1987 University of Illinois Research Fellow
(~160; Representative subset from 2010-present):
- Mahdy Malekzadeh Moghani and Bamin Khomami, “Computationally Efficient Algorithms for Brownian Dynamics Simulation of Long Flexible Macromolecules Modeled as Bead-Rod Chains,” PR Fluids, 2, 023303 (2017).
- Amir Saadat and Bamin Khomami, “Letter to the Editor: BDpack, an open source parallel Brownian dynamics simulation package,” J. Rheol., 61, 147 (2017).
- Mouge Mohagheghi and Bamin Khomami, “Elucidating the Flow-Microstructure Coupling in Entangled Polymer Melts: Part II. Molecular Mechanism of Shear Banding,” J. Rheol., 60, 861, (2016). Invited Contribution.
- Hanieh Niroomand, Guru A. Venkatesan, Stephen A. Sarles, Dibyendu Mukherjee, and Bamin Khomami, “Lipid-detergent phase transitions during detergent mediated liposome solubilization,” J. Membrane Biology, 249, 523 (2016).
- Xianggui Ye and Bamin Khomami, “Elucidating the Molecular Processes for Creating Large or Bimodal Soft Nanoparticles from Block Copolymers via Blending” Rapid Macromolecular Communications, 37, 1760 (2016). Featured Article: Back Cover.
- Xianggui Ye, Zhanwei Li, Zhaoyan Sun, and Bamin Khomami, “A Template-Free Bottom-Up Method for Fabricating Diblock Copolymer Patchy Particles,” ACS Nano, 10, 5199 (2016).
- Amir Saadat and Bamin Khomami, “Matrix-free" Brownian dynamics simulation technique for semi-dilute polymeric solutions,” Phys. Rev. E, 92, 033307 (2015).
- Mouge Mohagheghi and Bamin Khomami, “Elucidating the morphological complexities of linear symmetric triblock polymers confined between two parallel plates: A self-consistent field theoretic approach,” Macromolecular Theory and Simulation, 24, 556 (2015). Featured Article, Front Cover.
- Mouge Mohagheghi, and Bamin Khomami, “Molecular Processes Leading to Shear Banding in Well Entangled Polymeric Melts,” ACS Macro Lett., 4, 684(2015).
- Mohammad Nafar Sefiddashti, Brian Edwards, and Bamin Khomami, “Individual Chain Dynamics of a Polyethylene Melt Undergoing Steady Shear Flow” J. Rheol. 59, 119 (2015). Featured Article, Front Cover.
- Reza Ghanbari, and Bamin Khomami “The onset of purely elastic and thermo-elastic instabilities in Taylor–Couette flow: Influence of gap ratio and fluid thermal sensitivity,” J. Non-Newt. Fluid Mech. 208-209, 108 (2014).
- Amir Saadat and Bamin Khomami, “Computationally efficient algorithms for incorporation of hydrodynamic and excluded volume interactions in Brownian dynamics simulations: A comparative study of the Krylov subspace and Chebyshev based techniques,” J. Chem. Phys. 140, 184903 (2014).
- Travis Russell, Brian J. Edwards, and Bamin Khomami, “Characterization of the Flory-Huggins Interaction Parameter of Polymer Thermodynamics,” Europhys Lett., 108, 66003 (2014).
- Sheng Hu, Ondrej Dyck, Huipeng Chen, Yu-che Hsio, Bin Hu, Gerd Dusher, Mark Dadmun and Bamin Khomami, “The impact of selective solvent on the evolution of structure and function in solvent annealed organic photovoltaics,” RSC Advances, 4(53), 27931 (2014).
- Xianggui Ye, Shengting Cui, Valmor de Almeida, and Bamin Khomami, "Molecular Simulation of Water Extraction into a Tri-n-Butyl-Phosphate/n-Dodecane Solution," J. Phys. Chem. B., 117, 14835 (2013).
- Mahdy Malekzadeh Moghania and Bamin Khomami, “Self-assembly of spherical Janus particles in electrolytes,” Soft Matter, 9, 4815 (2013).
- Nansheng Liu and Bamin Khomami, “Polymer-Induced Drag Enhancement in Turbulent Taylor-Couette Flows: Direct Numerical Simulations and Mechanistic Insight,” Phys. Rev. Lett., 111, 11, 11450 (2013).
- Nansheng Liu and Bamin Khomami, “Elastically induced turbulence in Taylor-Couette flow: direct numerical simulation and mechanistic insight,” J. Fluid Mech. Rapids, 737, R4 (2013).
- Xianggui Ye, Brian J. Edwards, and Bamin Khomami, “Morphology tailoring of thin film block copolymers on patterned substrates,” Macromolecular Rapid Communications, 33, 392 (2012).
- Shengting Cui, Xianggui Ye, Valmor F. de Almeida, Benjamin P. Hay, and Bamin Khomami, “Molecular Dynamics Simulation of Tri-n-butyl-Phosphate Liquid: A Force Field Comparative Study,” J. Phys. Chem., B, 116, 305 (2012).
- Dibyendu Mukherjee, Matthew Wang, and Bamin Khomami, “Impact of particle morphology on surface oxidation of nanoparticles: A kinetic Monte Carlo based study,” AIChE J., 58(11), 3341 (2012).
- A. Abedijaberi and Khomami, “Sedimentation of a sphere in a viscoelastic fluid: a multiscale simulation approach,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 694, 78 (2012).
- J.M. Kim, P.S. Stephanou, B.J. Edwards, and B. Khomami, “A mean-field anisotropic diffusion model for unentangled polymeric liquids and semi-dilute solutions: Model development and comparison with experimental and simulation data,” J. Non-Newt. Fluid Mech., 166, 593 (2011).
- Arash Abedijaberi, Gandharv Bhatara, Eric S. G. Shaqfeh, Bamin Khomami, “A computational study of the influence of viscoelasticity on the interfacial dynamics of dip coating flow,” J. Non-Newt. Fluid Mech., 166, 614 (2011).
- Dibyendu Mukherjee, Michael Vaughn, Bamin Khomami, and Barry D. Bruce, “Modulation of cyanobacterial photosystem I deposition properties on alkanethiolate Au substrate by various experimental conditions,” Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 88, 181 (2011).
- Dibyendu Mukherjee, Mark May, and Bamin Khomami, “Detergent–Protein interactions in aqueous buffer suspensions of Photosystem I (PS I): Solution structure and attachment dynamic onto SAM substrates, J. Colloid & Interface Science, 358, 477 (2011).
- Xianggui Ye, Shengting Cui, Valmor F. de Almeida, Benjamin P. Hay and Bamin Khomami, “Uranyl nitrate complex extraction into TBP/dodecane organic solutions: a molecular dynamics study,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physic, 12, 15406 (2010).
- Xianggui Ye, Brian J. Edwards, and Bamin Khomami, “Elucidating the Formation of Block Copolymer Nanostructures on Patterned Surfaces: A Self-Consistent Field Theory Study, Macromolecules, 43, 9594 (2010).
- Dibyendu Mukherjee, Mark May, Michael Vaughn, Barry D. Bruce, and Bamin Khomami, “Controlling the Morphology of Photosystem I Assembly on Thiol-Activated Au Substrates,” Langmuir, 26, 16048 (2010).
- M. Vasudevan, E. Buse, H. Krishna, R. Kalyanaraman, A. Shen, B. Khomami, and R. Sureshkumar, “Irreversible Nanogel Formation in Surfactant Solutions by Microporous Flow,” Nature Materials, 9, 436(2010). Featured on the Front Cover.