Granger and Beaman Distinguished University Professor
- Office Address: 419 Dougherty Engineering Building
- Phone: 865-974-2035
- E-mail: email@example.com
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL, 1987
- MS in Chemical Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL, 1985
- BS in Chemical Engineering, minor in Mathematics, Ohio State University, Columbus, Summa Cum Laude, 1983
Bamin Khomami received his MS (1985) and PhD (1987) degrees in Chemical Engineering from the University of Illinois-Urbana. He is the Distinguished University Professor in the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering (CBE) at University of Tennessee, Knoxville (UTK). He served as CBE Department Head (2006 to 2022) and Director of UTK’s Sustainable Energy and Research Center (SEERC; 2009-2019). In 2011, he received a dual appointment and became a Professor of Mechanical, Aerospace and Biomedical Engineering.
Prior to joining UTK he was the Francis F. Ahmann Professor and Director of the Graduate Program of Chemical Engineering at Washington University, where he started his academic career in 1987. In addition, between 1992 to 2006, he was a visiting Professor at Stanford University, Universidad Nacional De Education A Distancia (Spain), and the Technical University of Denmark. To date, Khomami has received several teaching and research awards and is a Fellow of the American Physical Society (APS), American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), Society of Rheology (SoR) and the American Institute of Chemical Engineering (AIChE).
Khomami’s current research interests include Structure, Dynamics and Rheology of Complex Fluids and Soft Matter, Multiscale Modeling and Simulation, Processing Science of Micro-and-Nano-Structured Materials, Nano-and-Micro-Scale Interfacial Phenomenon, and Biohybrid Material, Material for Renewable Energy, and Printed Electronics. He has authored or co-authored over 210 archival journal publications and he currently serves on editorial boards of Journals of Rheology (2007-Present), Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics (2008-Present), Applied Rheology (2007-Present), International Journal of Molecular Sciences (Editor-in-Chief-Macromolecules Section (2020-Present), and Polymers (2022-Present). He is also a co-Founder, President, and member of Board of Directors of Celtig, LLC (Knoxville, TN 2015-Present) and Chief Executive Officer and member of Board of Directors of International Graphene, LLC (Columbia, South Carolina 2020-Present). Celtig and International Graphene produces high-quality commercial quantities of graphene nanoplatelets or flakes marketed worldwide.
Awards and Recognitions
- 2023 University of Illinois- Urbana, Distinguished Alumni Award-Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
- 2019 Fellow, Society of Rheology
- 2017 Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 2015 Fellow, American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- 2009 Fellow, American Physical Society
- 2007 University of Tennessee College of Engineering Outstanding Faculty Award
- 1995-Present Numerous distinguished lecture series
- 1993 Camille and Henry Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar National Award
- 1991-1996 NSF, Presidential Young Investigator (PYI) Award
- 1983-1987 University of Illinois Research Fellow
- Member of: (1) American Institute of Chemical Engineering (AIChE), (2) Society of Rheology (SOR), (3) American Chemical Society, and (4) American Physical Society (Division of Fluid Dynamics and High Polymer Physics).
- Member of editorial boards of: (1) Journal of Rheology (2007-Present), (2) Journal of non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics (2006-2020), (3) Applied Rheology (2007-Present), (4) International Journal of Molecular Sciences (Editor-in-Chief-Macromolecules Section; 2019-Present), and (5) Polymers (2020-Present).
- Guest-Editor of the special issue of Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics devoted to the XIIth International Workshop on Numerical Methods for Non-Newtonian Flows (2001).
- Chair, (2001) XIIth International Workshop on Numerical Methods for Non-Newtonian Flows.
- AIChE Fluid Dynamics Programming Committee (1999-Present); Bingham Medal Committee of SOR (member 1999-2000; chair 2000-2002).
- Member, ACS Murphree Award in Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, Nomination Committee (2008),
- Member of financial oversight committee of Society of Rheology (2017-2021).
- Director, local AIChE Chapter in Oak Ridge/Knoxville (2015-2021).
- Structure, Dynamics and Rheology of Complex Fluids and Soft Matte Biohybrid energy harvesting materials
- Biohybrid materials for next generation quantum simulation and computing
- Single Macromolecular Dynamics and Biophysics
- Multiscale Modeling and Simulation of Complex Systems
- Processing Science of Micro- and Nano-Structured Material
- Biohybrid material
- Material for renewable energy
- Printed electronics
- Renewable energy and additive manufacturing
- Xianggui Ye, and Bamin Khomami*,” Self-Assembly of Linear Diblock Copolymers in Selective Solvents: From Single Micelles to Particles with Tri-continuous Inner Structure,” Soft Matter, 16, 6056 (2020). Featured Article: Inside Cover. https://doi.org/10.1039/D0SM00402B
- Tyler H. Bennett, Ravi Pamu, Dibyendu Mukherjee*, and Bamin Khomami*, “A new platform for development of photosystem I based thin films with superior photocurrent: TCNQ charge transfer salts derived from ZIF-8,” Nanoscale Advances 2, 5171 (2020).Featured Article: Front Cover. HOT Article Collection. http://doi.org/10.1039/D0NA00220H
- Myeong-Lok Seol , Inho Nam, Erick L. Ribeiro, Becca Segel, Dongil Lee, Tyler Palma, Honglu Wu, Dibyendu Mukherjee, Bamin Khomami, Curtis Hill, Jin-Woo Han*, and M. Meyyappa*, “All-Printed In-plane Supercapacitors by Sequential Additive Manufacturing Process,” ACS Applied Energy Materials 3 (5), 4965-4973 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1021/acsaem.0c00510
- Mohammad H. Nafar Sefiddashti*, Brian J. Edwards*, and Bamin Khomami*, “Flow-induced Phase Separation and Crystallization in Entangled Polyethylene Solutions under Elongational Flow,” Macromolecules, 53, 6432 (2020). Featured Article: Front Cover-Supplementary. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.macromol.0c00508
- Mahdi Boudaghi-Khajehnobar, Brian J. Edwards*, and Bamin Khomami*, Effect of chain length and polydispersity on shear banding in simple shear flow of polymeric melts,”, Soft Matter, 16, 6447 (2020). Featured Article: Front Cover. https://doi.org/10.1039/D0SM00669F
- Erick L. Ribeiro, Elijah M. Davis, Mahshid Mokhtarnejad, Sheng Hu, Dibyendu Mukherjee*, and Bamin Khomami*, “MOF-derived PtCo/Co3O4 nanocomposites in carbonaceous matrices as high-performance Oxygen Reduction Reaction (ORR) electrocatalysts via Laser Ablation Techniques,” Catalysis Science & Technology, 11, 3002 (2021). Featured Article: Front Cover. https://doi.org/10.1039/D0CY02099K
- Ravi Pamu, Benjamin J Lawrie, Bamin Khomami*, and Dibyendu Mukherjee*, “Broadband Plasmonic Photocurrent Enhancements from Photosystem I Assembled with Tailored Arrays of Au and Ag Nano Discs,” ACS Appl. Nano Mat, 4, 2, 1209 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1021/acsanm.0c02709
- Jiaxing Song, Fenghui Lin , Nansheng Liu *, Xi-Yun Lu, and Bamin Khomami*,”Direct numerical simulation of inertio-elastic turbulent Taylor-Couette flow.” 926, A37, J. Fluid Mech. (2021). https://www.doi.org/10.1017/jfm.2021.757.
- Eric S.G. Shaqfeh* and Bamin Khomami*,”The Oldroyd-B Fluid in Elastic Instabilities, Turbulence and Particle Suspensions,” J. Non-Newt. Fluid Mech. 298, 104672 (2021). Invited Review. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnnfm.2021.104672
- Brian J. Edwards*, Mohammad Hadi Nafar Sefiddashti*, and Bamin Khomami*,”Atomistic simulation of shear flow of linear alkane and polyethylene liquids: A 50-year retrospective,” J. Rheology, 66, 415 (2022). Invited Review. https://doi.org/10.1122/8.0000365
- Ravi Pamu, B. Khomami*, D. Mukherjee*, “Anomalous Observations of Carotenoid and Blind Chlorophyll Activations in Photosystem I under Synthetic Membrane Confinements,” In Press, BBA-Biomembranes Volume 1864, Issue 8, 183930 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbamem.2022.183930
- Mahdi Boudaghi-Khajehnobar, Mohammad Hadi Nafar Sefiddashti, Brian J. Edwards*, and Bamin Khomami*, “Elucidating the role of network topology dynamics on the coil-stretch transition hysteresis in extensional flow of entangled polymer melts,” J. Rheology 66, 551 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1122/8.0000422
- Brian J. Edwards*, Mohammad Hadi Nafar Sefiddashti*, and Bamin Khomami*, “Nonequilibrium thermodynamics of polymeric liquids via atomistic simulation,” Entropy, 24, 175 (2022). Invited Article. Featured Cover Article. https://doi.org/10.3390/e24020175
- Mahshid Mokhtarnejad, Erick L. Ribeiro, Dibyendu Mukherjee*, and Bamin Khomami*, ”High Performance 3D Printed Faradaic Supercapacitor Using Hybrid Nanocomposites of Reduced Graphene Oxide/MnOx-based Electrodes,” RSC Advances, 12, 17321 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1039/D2RA02009B
- Jiaxing Song, Fenghui Lin, Yabiao Zhu, Zhen-Hua Wan, Nansheng Liu*, Xi-Yun Lu, and Bamin Khomami* “Self-sustaining cycle of purely elastic turbulence,” Physical Review Fluid, 8, 014602 (2023). https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevFluids.8.014602
- Yabiao Zhu, Zhenhua Wan, Nansheng Liu*, Xiyun Lu, and Bamin Khomami*, “ Maximum Drag Enhancement Asymptote in Spanwise Rotating Viscoelastic Plane Couette Flow of Dilute Polymeric Solutions,” J. Fluid Mech. , vol. 958, A15 (2023). https://doi.org/10.1017/jfm.2023.75
- Mahdi Boudaghi, Brian J. Edwards*, and Bamin Khomami*,” Microstructural evolution and reverse flow in shear-banding of entangled polymer melts,” Soft Matter, 19, 410 (2023). Featured Article: Back Cover. https://doi.org/10.1039/D2SM01337A
- Jiaxing Song, Yabiao Zhu, Nansheng Liu* and Bamin Khomami*,”Turbulent Taylor-Couette flow of dilute polymeric solutions: A 10-year retrospective”. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A 381 (2243), 20220132 (2023). https://doi.org/10.1098/rsta.2022.0132. Invited Review for Centennial GI Taylor Theme Issue.
- Mohammad Hadi Nafar Sefiddashti*, Brian J. Edwards*, and Bamin Khomami*, “Atomistic Simulation of Flow-Induced Microphase Separation and Crystallization of an Entangled Polyethylene Melt Undergoing Uniaxial Elongational Flow and the Role of Kuhn Segment Extension,” Polymers, 15(8), 1831 (2023). https://doi.org/10.3390/polym15081831
- Mahshid Mokhtarnejad, Erick Ribeiro, Dibyendu Mukherjee, and Bamin Khomami*, “Facile Synthesis of Nonprecious Bimetallic Zeolitic Imidazolate Framework-Based Hierarchical Nanocomposites as Efficient Electrocatalysts for Oxygen Reduction Reaction,” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 6, 14, 13698 (2023). https://doi.org/10.1021/acsanm.3c02703
- Mahdi Boudaghi, Brian J. Edwards*, and Bamin Khomami*,”Molecular processes leading to shear banding in entangled polymeric solutions,” Polymers, 15, 3264 (2023). Invited Feature Article. https://doi.org/10.3390/polym15153264