Head, Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering; Granger and Beaman Distinguished University Professor; Director, Sustainable Energy Education and Research Center
Bamin Khomami received his MS (1985) and PhD (1987) degrees in Chemical Engineering from the University of Illinois-Urbana. He is the Distinguished University Professor and Head of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at University of Tennessee, Knoxville (UT), a position he has held since 2006. In 2008, he became the founding director of the Sustainable Energy Education and Research at UT and in 2011 he received a dual appointment and became a Professor of Mechanical, Aerospace and Biomedical Engineering.
Prior to joining UT he was the Francis F. Ahmann Professor of Chemical Engineering at Washington University, where he started his academic career in 1987. In addition, between 1992 to 2006, he was a visiting Professor at Stanford University, Universidad Nacional De Education A Distancia (Spain), and the Technical University of Denmark.
Khomami’s current research interests include structure, dynamics and rheology of complex fluids and soft matter’ processing science of micro- and nano-structured materials with application to energy harvesting and quantum computing, and single polymer dynamics of simple and topologically complex macromolecules in the dilute, semi-dilute and entangled regimes. He has authored or co-authored over 190 archival journal publications and he currently serves on editorial boards of Journals of Rheology (2007-Present), Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics (2008-Present), and Applied Rheology (2007-Present). In January of 2015, he co-founded and became member of Board of Directors of Celtig, LLC. Celtig produces high-quality commercial quantities of graphene nanoplatelets or flakes marketed worldwide under the trade name “Cicarbo.”
- Structure, Dynamics and Rheology of Complex Fluids and Soft Matte Biohybrid energy harvesting materials
- Biohybrid materials for next generation quantum simulation and computing
- Single Macromolecular Dynamics and Biophysics
- Multiscale Modeling and Simulation of Complex Systems
- Processing Science of Micro- and Nano-Structured Material
PhD in Chemical Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL, 1987
MS in Chemical Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL, 1985
BS in Chemical Engineering, minor in Mathematics, Ohio State University, Columbus, Summa Cum Laude, 1983
- Member of: (1) American Institute of Chemical Engineering (AIChE), (2) Society of Rheology (SOR), (3) American Chemical Society, and (4) American Physical Society (Division of Fluid Dynamics and High Polymer Physics).
- Member of editorial boards of: (1) Journal of Rheology, (2) Journal of non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, and (3) Applied Rheology.
- Guest-Editor of the special issue of Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics devoted to the XIIth International Workshop on Numerical Methods for Non-Newtonian Flows (2001).
- Chair, (2001) XIIth International Workshop on Numerical Methods for Non-Newtonian Flows.
- AIChE Fluid Dynamics Programming Committee (1999-Present); Bingham Medal Committee of SOR (member 1999-2000; chair 2000-2002).
- Member, ACS Murphree Award in Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, Nomination Committee (2008),
- Member of financial oversight Committee of society of Rheology (2017-present).
- Director, local AIChE Chapter in Oak Ridge/Knoxville (2015-Present).
Awards and Recognitions
- 2019 Fellow, Society of Rheology
- 2017 Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 2015 Fellow, American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- 2009 Fellow, American Physical Society
- 2007 University of Tennessee College of Engineering Outstanding Faculty Award
- 1995-Present Numerous distinguished lecture series
- 1993 Camille and Henry Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar National Award
- 1991-1996 NSF, Presidential Young Investigator (PYI) Award
- 1983-1987 University of Illinois Research Fellow
(~ 190 Peer Reviewed. Below is a representative subset from the last 5 years. Visit Khomami's Google Scholar page for a complete list of publications.):
- Tyler Bennett, Kiman Park, Michael Vaughn, Seyyed Davari, Dibyendu Mukherjee*, and Bamin Khomami*, “Jolly Green MOF: Confinement and Photoactivation of Photosystem I in a Metal Organic Framework,” Nanoscale Advances,1,1, 94 (2019). Featured Article, Inaugural Issue: Front Cover.
- Erick L. Ribeiro, Seyyed Davari, Sheng Hu, Dibyendu Mukherjee*, and Bamin Khomami*, “: Laser-induced synthesis of ZIF-67: A new approach for the facile fabrication of crystalline MOFs with tailored size and geometry,” Material Chemistry Frontiers, 3, 1302 (2019).; Featured Article: Front Cover.
- Jiaxing Song, Hao Teng, Nansheng Liu*, Hang Ding, Xiyun Lu, and Bamin Khomami*, “The correspondence between drag enhancement and vortical structures in turbulent Taylor-Couette flows with polymer additives: A study of curvature dependence,” JFM, 881, 602 (2019).
- Mohammad Hadi Nafar Sefiddashti, Brian J. Edwards*, and Bamin Khomami*, “Elucidating the Molecular Rheology of Entangled Polymeric Fluids via Direct Comparison of NEMD Simulations and Model Predictions,” Macromolecules, 52, 21, 8124 (2019).
- Mohammad H. Nafar Sefiddashti, Brian J. Edwards*, and Bamin Khomami*, “Individual Molecular Dynamics of An Entangled Polyethylene Melt Undergoing Shear Flow: Transient and Steady-State Dynamics,” Polymers, 11 476 (2019). Invited Contribution.
- Mohammad H. Nafar Sefiddashti1, Brian J. Edwards*, and Bamin Khomami*, “Configurational Microphase Separation in Elongational Flow of an Entangled Polymer Liquid,” Physical Review Letters, 121, 247802 (2018).
- Hanieh Niroomand, Ravi Pamu, Dibyendu Mukherjee*, and Bamin Khomami*, “Microenvironment alterations enhanced photocurrent from Photosystem I confined in supported lipid bilayers,” J. Mat. Chem. A, 6, 12281 (2018). Featured Article: Front Cover.
- Danielle J. Mai, Amir Saadat, Bamin Khomami*, and Charles M. Schroeder*, “Stretching dynamics of single comb polymers,” Macromolecules, 51, 1507 (2018).
- Hanieh Niroomand, Ravi Pamu, Dibyendu Mukherjee*, and Bamin Khomami*, Tuning the Photocurrent Generations from Photosystem I Assembled in Tailored Biotic-Abiotic Interfaces,” MRS Communications, 1-7 (2018). Invited Contribution.
- Hao Teng, Nansheng Liu*, Xiyun Lu, and Bamin Khomami*, “Turbulent drag reduction in plane Couette flow with polymer additives: A direct numerical simulation study,” J. Fluid Mech. 846, 482 (2018).
- Ravi Pamu, V Prasad Sandireddy, Ramki Kalyanaraman, Bamin Khomami*, and Dibyendu Mukherjee*,” Plasmon enhanced photocurrent from Photosystem I assembled on Ag nano-pyramids,” Physical Chemistry Letters, 9, 970 (2018).
- Hanieh Niroomand, Dibyendu Mukherjee, and Bamin Khomami, “Tuning the photoexcitation response of cyanobacterial Photosystem I via reconstitution into Proteoliposomes,” Scientific Reports, 7, 2492 (2017). Appeared on the Nature Research web page and was posted as one of their highlight articles on their Facebook page on June 12, 2017.
- Mohammad Hadi Nafar Sefiddashti, Brian J. Edwards, and Bamin Khomami, “Evaluation of Reptation-based Modelling of Entangled Polymeric Fluids Including Chain Rotation via NEMD Simulation,” Rev. Fluids, 2, 083301 (2017).
- Sheng, Hu, Kangming, Cheng, Eriek Ribeiro, Kiman Park, Dibyendu Mukherjee, and Bamin Khomami, “A facile route for the rapid synthesis of tailored ternary nanoalloys as superior oxygen reduction reaction electrocatalysts,” Catalysis Science and Technology, 7, 2074 (2017).
- Amir Saadat and Bamin Khomami, “Letter to the Editor: BDpack, an open source parallel Brownian dynamics simulation package,” J. Rheol., 61, 147 (2017).
- Mouge Mohagheghi and Bamin Khomami, “Elucidating the Flow-Microstructure Coupling in Entangled Polymer Melts: Part II. Molecular Mechanism of Shear Banding,” J. Rheol., 60, 861, (2016). Invited Contribution.
- Hanieh Niroomand, Guru A. Venkatesan, Stephen A. Sarles, Dibyendu Mukherjee, and Bamin Khomami, “Lipid-detergent phase transitions during detergent mediated liposome solubilization,” J. Membrane Biology, 249, 523 (2016).
- Xianggui Ye and Bamin Khomami, “Elucidating the Molecular Processes for Creating Large or Bimodal Soft Nanoparticles from Block Copolymers via Blending” Rapid Macromolecular Communications, 37, 1760 (2016). Featured Article: Back Cover.
- Younes Hanifehpour, Behzad Soltani, Ali Reza Amani-Ghadim, Behnam Hedayati, Bamin Khomami, and Sang Woo Joo,” Synthesis and characterization of samarium-doped ZnS nanoparticles: A novel visible light responsive photocatalyst,”Material Research Bulletin, 76, 411 (2016).
- Xianggui Ye, Zhanwei Li, Zhaoyan Sun, and Bamin Khomami, “A Template-Free Bottom-Up Method for Fabricating Diblock Copolymer Patchy Particles,” ACS Nano, 10, 5199 (2016).
- Tyler H. Bennett, Hanieh Niroomand, Ravi Pamu, Ilia Ivanov, Dibyendu Mukherjee, and Bamin Khomami, "The Scavenging role of methyl viologen in photoactivated electron transfer from Photosystem I under aerobic and anaerobic conditions,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 18, 8512 (2016).
- Mahdy Malekzadeh Moghania, and Bamin Khomami, “Flexible Polyelectrolyte Chain in a Strong Electrolyte Solution: Insight into Equilibrium Properties and Force-Extension Behavior from Mesoscale Simulation,” J. Chem. Phys., 144, 024903 (2016).
- Amir Saadat and Bamin Khomami, “Matrix-free" Brownian dynamics simulation technique for semi-dilute polymeric solutions,” Phys. Rev. E, 92, 033307 (2015).
- Mouge Mohagheghi and Bamin Khomami, “Elucidating the morphological complexities of linear symmetric triblock polymers confined between two parallel plates: A self-consistent field theoretic approach,” Macromolecular Theory and Simulation, 24, 556 (2015). Featured Article, Front Cover.
- Mouge Mohagheghi, and Bamin Khomami, “Molecular Processes Leading to Shear Banding in Well Entangled Polymeric Melts,” ACS Macro Lett., 4, 684 (2015).
- Mohammad Nafar Sefiddashti, Brian Edwards, and Bamin Khomami, “Individual Chain Dynamics of a Polyethylene Melt Undergoing Steady Shear Flow” J. Rheol. 59, 119 (2015). Featured Article, Front Cover.
- Travis Russell, Brian J. Edwards, and Bamin Khomami, “Characterization of the Flory-Huggins Interaction Parameter of Polymer Thermodynamics,” Europhys Lett., 108, 66003 (2014).
- Sheng Hu, Ondrej Dyck, Huipeng Chen, Yu-che Hsio, Bin Hu, Gerd Dusher, Mark Dadmun and Bamin Khomami, “The impact of selective solvent on the evolution of structure and function in solvent annealed organic photovoltaics,” RSC Advances, 4(53), 27931 (2014).