Vice President and University Professor Emeritus
For more than 50 years at the University of Tennessee, John Prados served in a variety of roles including full-time faculty member and department head in Chemical Engineering, Associate Dean of Engineering, Dean of Admissions and Records, Acting Chancellor of the Knoxville and Martin campuses, and Vice President for Academic Affairs of the Statewide University System. A consultant for industry, government, and higher education in the US and abroad, he was also Senior Education Associate in the National Science Foundation Engineering Directorate (1994-97).
His volunteer professional service includes Engineering Accreditation Commission Chair and President of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET); Treasurer and Director of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE); President and Treasurer of Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society; Commission on Colleges and Board of Trustees of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools; Tau Beta Pi Executive Councilor; and editor of the Journal of Engineering Education, published by the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE). He is a fellow of ABET, AIChE, and ASEE and is a Registered Professional Engineer in Tennessee (retired status).
As a faculty member, Prados directed the graduate research of 10 PhD and 31 MS students. He received the BS from the University of Mississippi, and the MS and PhD from the University of Tennessee, all in chemical engineering.
- (former) Flow visualization, separation by thermal diffusion, process dynamics, mathematical simulation of chemical and nuclear systems
- (current) Engineering education and accreditation
PhD, University of Tennessee: Flow Visualization Utilizing a Doubly Refracting Liquid
- Board of Trustees, AIChE Foundation
- Board of Trustees, F. W. Olin College of Engineering
- External Examiner, College of Engineering, Sultan Qaboos University (Oman)
- Chair, Engineering Education Committee, Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society
- Past Chair, Assembly of Fellows, ASEE
- Chair, Editorial Board, The BENT of Tau Beta Pi
Awards and Recognitions
- 2016 Hall of Fame Award in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
- 2015 East Tennessee Section of the ACS, 60 Years of Service Award
- 2007 Lifetime Achievement Award in Chemical Engineering Pedagogy, ASEE
- 2004 James T. Rogers Distinguished Leadership Award, Commission on Colleges, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- 2001, 1999, 1992 Chemical Engineering Department Outstanding Teacher
- 2000, 1997, 1994 Chemical Engineering Department Outstanding Advisor
- 1997-1998 Faculty Macebearer, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- 1993 Linton E. Grinter Award for Service to Engineering Education, ABET
- Prados, J. W. (Editor) (2007). "A Proud Legacy of Quality Assurance in the Preparation of Technical Professionals: ABET’s 75th Anniversary Retrospective," ABET, Inc., Baltimore, Maryland.
- Prados, J. W., Peterson, G. D., Lattuca, Lisa R. (2005). “Quality Assurance of Engineering Education through Accreditation: The Impact of Engineering Criteria 2000 and Its Global Influence,” Journal of Engineering Education 94(1): 165-184.
- Prados, J. W. (2004). “Can ABET Really Make a Difference?” International Journal of Engineering Education 20(3): 315-317.
- Prados, J. W., Proctor, S. I. (2000). “What Will It Take to Reform Engineering Education?” Chemical Engineering Progress 96(3): 91-96.
- Prados, J. W. (1998). "Engineering Education in the United States: Past, Present, and Future," Proceedings, International Conference on Engineering Education: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.