Skip to content

Advising FAQs

Upon successful completion of EF 151/152 or Honors 157/158 and Math 141/142 or Honors 147/148 and you have been granted acceptance into the program, you will be advised by CBE Senior Advisor Kerri ClineCurrently all advising appointments are being conducted through Zoom. Appointments must be scheduled through Vol Academic Connect (Navigate), available via MyUTK.

**Please note, due to the high volume of Advising Appointments, if you are 10 minutes or more late for your appointment, you will be required to reschedule.**

  • Print off DARS report.
  • Check your profile to ensure that all information is up to date and accurate.
  • Print off current Academic History.

A lower division student must apply for progression to upper division status after completing CBE 201, CBE 235, CBE 240, and CBE 250. These course must be completed with a grade of C- or better in each course and an overall GPA of 2.3 or better.
Upper Division Application

You must fill out an Academic Plan for the remainder of your time at UT and have CBE Senior Advisor Kerri Cline sign off on it. Your Academic Plan must be prepared prior to your advising appointment. It is strongly recommended that you make an appointment with Engineering Professional Practice. Also, please refer to the Engineering Professional Practice website for additional information regarding co-op and other internship opportunities.

If you are approaching Graduation, please visit the Office of the Registrars page regarding Graduation Application Processes and Deadlines.

Please review the Graduation Checklist.

**Remember that you must check your student profile for accuracy and make any necessary changes prior to applying to graduate.**

Students seeking research opportunities:  Go to our faculty page to find a professor that specializes in your research interests.  Email the faculty member(s) that you would like to do research for. Attach a resume that includes your current GPA. If you don’t hear back from them within a week, feel free to stop by their office.

Chemistry Option I:

Any three-hour course taken in Chem, Biochem, or Microbio at the 200 level or above may be taken to satisfy “Chemistry Option I” in the Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering curriculum. MSE 322, MSE 340, MSE 360, MSE 470, ENVE 562, or ENVE 554 will also satisfy this requirement. Extra credit hours from labs not required in the curriculum may be combined to meet the three hours total for this option.

Chemistry Option II:

Any three-hour course taken in Chem, Biochem, or Microbio at the 300 level or above may be taken to satisfy “Chemistry Option II” in the Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering curriculum. MSE 322, MSE 340, MSE 360, MSE 470, ENVE 562, or ENVE 554 will also satisfy this requirement.

**Other courses may also satisfy either of these requirements but should be approved on a substitution form before registering for the course.**

Bio Options I and II:

BIOL 240–General Genetics
BIOL 250–General Ecology
MICR 210–General Microbiology
BIOL 250–General Ecology
MICR 310–Introduction to Microbiology
BCMB 230–Human Physiology
BCMB 310–Physiological Chemistry
BCMB 321–Introductory Plant Physiology
BCMB 401–Biochemistry-Molecular Biology I
BCMB 402–Biochemistry-Molecular Biology II

Bio Option I: any of these

Bio Option II: any of these 300 level or greater

**Other courses may also satisfy either of these requirements but should be approved on an Engineering Course Substitution Form before registering for the course.**

CBE 415, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Laboratory, fulfills the university general education WC requirement.

Progression of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering students to departmental upper division courses is competitive and is based on capacity. Factors considered include overall grade point average, performance in selected lower division courses, and evidence of satisfactory and orderly progress through the prescribed curriculum.

Upper-Division Status: A lower-division student may apply for progression to Upper-Division Status after completing CBE 201, 235, 240, and 250 with a grade of C- or better in each course and an overall GPA of 2.3.

Provisional Status: Students who have completed CBE 201, 235, 240, and 250 with an overall GPA of at least 2.1 may apply for provisional status. The granting of Provisional Upper-Division Status is based on the availability of space in the departmental programs after Upper-Division Status students have been accommodated. Provisional students are required to demonstrate the ability to perform satisfactorily in upper division courses by completing a total of seven departmental courses with a grade of C or better in each course (including the four required for Upper-Division Status). Permission to continue with upper-division classes depends on this minimum level of performance.

Any student with an overall GPA below 2.1 will not be admitted to upper division Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering courses. Students who have not been admitted to Upper-Division or Provisional Status will be dropped from upper-division departmental class rolls.

Transfer students at the upper-division level are admitted on a Provisional Status basis only.

The application form for Upper Division is available in Word (doc) and Acrobat (pdf) document formats.

Usual Course Offerings in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering


Fall Spring Mini-Term Summer
CBE 201 CBE 240 CBE 201
CBE 235 CBE 250 CBE 250
CBE 301 CBE 340 CBE 340
CBE 350 CBE 360 CBE 360
CBE 415 CBE 380
CBE 445 CBE 401
CBE 480 CBE 475
CBE 488/490

The following minors can be earned by taking only a few extra classes with the proper selection of general education and technical electives:

Students who have achieved upper division status in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering with an overall GPA of at least 3.7 and a GPA of 3.5 in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering classes may elect to participate in an enrichment program involving small seminars and research in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering.

Students are required to register for at least one credit hour of CBE 407 Honors Seminar, which involves attendance at seminars on various topics of interest to Chemical and Biomolecular Engineers.

The research component may be met by registering for CBE 467, CBE 488, or CBE 498 under the direction of a faculty member. Note that CBE 488 also fulfills the senior design requirement.

An overall GPA of 3.5 must be maintained throughout matriculation to continue in the honors program. Interested students should consult the honors coordinator for details about participation.

In order to have your degree titled “BSE CBE Honors” you should use the “Honors” form of the Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS).

Specific information regarding these programs can be found at the following locations:

The following statement on American history is taken from the undergraduate catalog:

Effective July 1, 1978 and afterwards, all students receiving a bachelor’s degree must have completed one unit of American history on the high school level or six semester hours of collegiate American history in order to receive a bachelor’s degree as required by the General Assembly of the State of Tennessee (Tennessee Code Annotated Section 49-3253).

This means that students who graduated from a high school that did not require American history must take two courses in US history at the university in order to receive their BS degree. This usually applies to international students since they frequently do not have any previous US history courses but some US students may also fall into this classification.

It is possible to obtain course credit to count against technical elective requirements for multiple co-op assignments. To do so, a student should sign up for one credit-hour of CBE 394 the semester after the co-op term was completed. This course may be repeated twice for up to 3 credit-hours of technical elective credit, thus eliminating one course from the curriculum.

The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System and partner in the Tennessee Transfer Pathway.

View our Privacy Policy.