UT-ORNL Governor's Chair for Biorefining
- Office Address: 323-B Dougherty Engineering Building
- Phone: 865-974-2042
- E-mail: email@example.com
- PhD, University of Western Ontario: Physical Organic Chemistry, Advanced NMR. 1985
- BS, Honors, University of Western Ontario: Chemistry. 1980
Arthur Ragauskas held the first Fulbright Chair in Alternative Energy and is a Fellow of American Association for the Advancement of Science, the International Academy of Wood Science and TAPPI.
In 2014, he assumed a Governor’s Chair for Biorefining based in University of Tennessee’s Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, with a complementary appointment in the UT Institute of Agriculture’s Department of Forestry, Wildlife, and Fisheries and serves in the US Energy and Environmental Sciences Directorate, Biosciences Division, at ORNL. His research program is directed at understanding and exploiting innovative sustainable bioresources. This multifaceted program is targeted to develop new and improved applications for nature’s premiere renewable biopolymers for biofuels, biopower, and bio-based materials and chemicals. Recently, his research team has begun to examine the upcycling of waste plastics.
His research program has been sponsored by NSF, USDA, DOE, GA Traditional Industry Program, a consortium of industry partners, and several fellowship programs which is summarized in 488 publications. His Fulbright sponsored activities at Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden were focused on the forest biorefinery and new biofuel conversion technologies for lignocellulosics. Currently, Ragauskas manages a research group of graduate students, postdoctoral research fellows, a research scientist, and visiting scientists. He is the recipient of the 2014 TAPPI Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award, the ACS Affordable Green Chemistry award, 2017 AIChE Green Processing Award, 2017 Academia Distinguished Service Award, and his students and postdocs have won several awards, including the ACS graduate research award, ORNL UT-Battelle Award, and Supplementary Performance Award (ORNL).
Ragauskas is an Associate Editor for Biofuels, Bioproducts and Biorefining, Biofuels, BioEnergy Research, Industrial Biotechnology, Taiwan Journal of Forest Service, TAPPI J., Holzforschung, Journal of Biobased Materials and Bioenergy, Journal of Petroleum Technology and Alternative Fuels, The Open Biotechnology Journal, Current Biotechnology, and J. Wood Chemistry and Technology. He is an editorial board member of Sustainability and Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology. Ragauskas has served on several advisory boards and review panels including: Austrian Science Fund, European Commission Research Directorate, National Science Academy, J. Paul Getty Trust, NSF, USDA, DOE, ARAP-E, NSERC, TAPPI Research Management Committee, Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO), Swedish Foundation for Strategic Research, Swedish VINN Excellence Center, Swedish Knowledge Foundation, VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, ERA Chemistry, Swiss National Science Foundation, Finnish Academy of Science Norway Research Council, The Technology Foundation STW, Agence Nationale de la Recherche and Singapore Agency for Science, Technology and Research. Ragauskas has been an invited visiting professor at Universidade da Beira Interior, Portugal; Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden; Royal Institute of Technology/ STFi, Stockholm, Sweden; and Southeast University, China, and South China University of Technology, China.
Awards and Recognitions
- 2019 Nominated to Sigma Xi
- 2018 Clarivate Analytics, Publons: Ragauskas named one of the world's most highly cited researchers in his field
- 2018 Fellow Royal Society of Chemistry
- 2017 Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2017 Green Process Engineering American Institute of Chemical Engineers Award
- 2017 University of California, Bourns College of Engineering – Center for Environmental Research and Technology, Distinguished Service Award
- 2014 TAPPI Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award
- 2014 ACS Award for Affordable Green Chemistry
- 2013 ORNL Visiting Fellow
- 2012 Elected American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellow
- 2012 Elected to Academy Board of International Academy of Wood Science
- 2008-2009 Fulbright Distinguished Chair in Alternative Energy
- 2008 Recipient of 2008 William H. Aiken Research Prize
- Green Chemistry
- Bio-Based Materials & Chemicals
- Fiber Modification
- Chemistry of Natural Biopolymers including Cellulose, Hemicellulose, and Lignin
- Organic/Carbohydrate Chemistry
- The preparation and characterization of chemically deuterium incorporated cotton fibers. Song, Yan; Jiang Wei; Ben, Haoxi; Zhang, Yuanming; Han, Guangting; Ragauskas, Arthur J. Cellulose (2021) 28:5351–5361.
- Promoting Diels-Alder reactions to produce bio-BTX: Co-aromatization of textile waste and plastic waste over USY zeolite. Wang, Jia; Jiang, Jianchun; Ding, Jinhua; Wang, Xiaobo; Sun, Yunjuan; Ruan, Roger; Ragauskas, Arthur J.; Ok, Yong Sik; Tsang, Daniel C. W. Journal of Cleaner Production (2021), 314, 127966.
- Degradation of aromatic compounds and lignin by marine protist Thraustochytrium striatum. Li, Xiang; Li, Mi; Pu, Yunqiao; Ragauskas, Arthur J.; Tharayil, Nishanth; Huang, Jiale; Zheng, Yi. Process Biochemistry (2021), 107, 13-17.
- Elucidating the mechanisms of enhanced lignin bioconversion by an alkali sterilization strategy. Zhao, Zhi-Min; Zhang, Shuyang; Meng, Xianzhi; Pu, Yunqiao; Liu, Zhi-Hua; Ledford, William K.; Kilbey, S. Michael II; Li, Bing-Zhi; Ragauskas, Arthur J. Green Chemistry (2021), Ahead of Print
- Catalytic degradation of waste rubbers and plastics over zeolites to produce aromatic hydrocarbons. Wang, Jia; Jiang, Jianchun; Sun, Yunjuan; Wang, Xiaobo; Li, Mi; Pang, Shusheng; Ruan, Roger; Ragauskas, Arthur J.; Ok, Yong Sik; Tsang, Daniel C. W. Journal of Cleaner Production (2021), 309, 127469.
- Wood-reinforced composites by stereolithography with the stress whitening behavior. Zhang, Shuyang; Bhagia, Samarthya; Li, Mi; Meng, Xianzhi; Ragauskas, Arthur J. Materials & Design (2021), 206, 109773
- THF co-solvent pretreatment prevents lignin redeposition from interfering with enzymes yielding prolonged cellulase activity. Patri, Abhishek S.; Mohan, Ramya; Pu, Yunqiao; Yoo, Chang G.; Ragauskas, Arthur J.; Kumar, Rajeev; Kisailus, David; Cai, Charles M.; Wyman, Charles E. Biotechnology for Biofuels (2021), 14(1), 63.
- Targeting hydroxycinnamoyl CoA: shikimate hydroxycinnamoyl transferase for lignin modification in Brachypodium distachyon. Serrani-Yarce, Juan Carlos; Escamilla-Trevino, Luis; Barros, Jaime; Gallego-Giraldo, Lina; Pu, Yunqiao; Ragauskas, Art; Dixon, Richard A. Biotechnology for Biofuels (2021), 14(1), 50.
- Polyurethanes Based on Unmodified and Refined Technical Lignins: Correlation between Molecular Structure and Material Properties. Wang, Yun-Yan; Scheidemantle, Brent; Wyman, Charles E.; Cai, Charles M.; Ragauskas, Arthur J. Biomacromolecules (2021), 22(5), 2129-2136.
- Fine grinding of thermoplastics by high speed friction grinding assisted by guar gum. Bhagia, Samarthya; Gallego, Nidia C.; Hiremath, Nitilaksha; Harper, David P.; Lowden, Richard A.; Lowden, Richard R.; Pu, Yunqiao; Vaidya, Uday; Ozcan, Soydan; Ragauskas, Arthur J. Journal of Applied Polymer Science (2021), 138(32), 50797.
- Recent Advances in Functional Materials through Cellulose Nanofiber Templating. Lamm, Meghan E.; Li, Kai; Qian, Ji; Wang, Lu; Lavoine, Nathalie; Newman, Reagan; Gardner, Douglas J.; Li, Teng; Hu, Liangbing; Ragauskas, Arthur J.; Halil Tekinalp, Halil: Kunc, Vlastimil; Ozcan, Soydan. Advanced Materials (2021), 33(12), 2005538.
- Influence of plasticizers on thermal and mechanical properties of biocomposite filaments made from lignin and polylactic acid for 3D printing. Wasti, Sanjita; Triggs, Eldon; Farag, Ramsis; Auad, Maria; Adhikari, Sushil; Bajwa, Dilpreet; Li, Mi; Ragauskas, Arthur J. Composites, Part B: Engineering (2021), 205, 108483.
- Heterogeneous Diels-Alder tandem catalysis for converting cellulose and polyethylene into BTX. Wang, Jia; Jiang, Jianchun; Sun, Yunjuan; Meng, Xianzhi; Wang, Xiaobo; Ruan, Roger; Ragauskas, Arthur J.; Tsang, Daniel C. W. Journal of Hazardous Materials (2021), 414, 125418.
- Enhancing Multifunctional Properties of Renewable Lignin Carbon Fiber via Defining Structure-Property Relationship Using Different Biomass Feedstock. Li, Qiang; Hu, Cheng; Li, Mengjie; Truong, Phuc; Li, Jinghao; Lin, Hao-Sheng; Naik, Mandar; Xiang, Sisi; Jackson, Brian; Kuo, Kuo, Winson; Wu, Wenhao; Pu, Yunqiao; Ragauskas, Arthur J.; Yuan, Joshua S. Green Chemistry (2021), 23(10), 3725-3739.
- Alignment of Cellulose Nanofibers: Harnessing Nanoscale Properties to Macroscale Benefits. Li, Kai; Clarkson, Caitlyn M.; Wang, Lu; Liu, Yu; Lamm, Meghan; Pang, Zhenqian; Zhou, Teng: Ragauskas, Arthur, J.;Youngblood, Jeffrey P.; Ozcan, Soydan. ACS Nano (2021), 3646-3673.
- Hydrogenation of pyrolysis oil from loblolly pine residue. Mondal, Ajoy Kanti; Qin, Chengrong; Ragauskas, Arthur J.; Ni, Yonghao; Huang, Fang. Paper and Biomaterials (2020), 5(1), 1-13.
- Facilitating enzymatic hydrolysis with a novel guaiacol-based deep eutectic solvent pretreatment. Huang, Chen; Zhan, Yunni; Cheng, Jinyuan; Wang, Jia; Meng, Xianzhi; Zhou, Xuelian; Fang, Guigan; Ragauskas, Arthur J. Bioresource Technology (2021), 326, 124696
- Enhancement of polyhydroxyalkanoate production by co-feeding lignin derivatives with glycerol in Pseudomonas putida KT2440. Xu, Zhangyang; Pan, Chunmei; Li, Xiaolu; Hao, Naijia; Zhang, Tong; Gaffrey, Matthew J.; Pu, Yunqiao; Cort, John R.; Ragauskas, Arthur J.; Qian, Wei-Jun; et al. Biotechnology for Biofuels (2021), 14(1), 11.
- Recent advancements of plant-based natural fiber-reinforced composites and their applications. Li, Mi; Pu, Yunqiao; Thomas, Valerie M.; Yoo, Chang Geun; Ozcan, Soydan; Deng, Yulin; Nelson, Kim; Ragauskas, Arthur J. Composites, Part B: Engineering (2020), 200, 108254.
- Double bonus: surfactant-assisted biomass pelleting benefits both the pelleting process and subsequent enzymatic saccharification of the pretreated pellets. Gong, Chunxiao; Bryant, Nathan; Meng, Xianzhi; Bhagia, Samarthya; Pu, Yunqiao; Xin, Donglin; Bender Koch, Christian; Felby, Claus; Thygesen, Lisbeth Garbrecht; Ragauskas, Arthur; Thomsen, Sune, Tjalfe. Green Chemistry (2021), 23(2), 1050-1061.
- Production of xylo-oligosaccharides from poplar by acetic acid pretreatment and its impact on inhibitory effect of poplar lignin. Wang, Jinye; Xu, Yong; Meng, Xianzhi; Pu, Yunqiao; Ragauskas, Arthur; Zhang, Junhua. Bioresource Technology (2021), 323, 124593.
- Supercritical water co-liquefaction of LLDPE and PP into oil: properties and synergy. Zhao, Peitao; Yuan, Zhilong; Zhang, Jing; Song, Xueping; Wang, Cuiping; Guo, Qingjie; Ragauskas, Arthur J. Sustainable Energy & Fuels (2021), 5(2), 575-583.
- Effect of using regenerated combined FAU and MOR zeolites as catalysts during the pyrolysis of kraft lignin. Mondal, Ajoy Kanti; Qin, Chengrong; Ragauskas, Arthur J.; Ni, Yonghao; Huang, Fang. BioResources (2021), 16(1), 417-440.
- Deep Eutectic Solvents: A Review of Fundamentals and Applications. Hansen, Benworth B.; Spittle, Stephanie; Chen, Brian; Poe, Derrick; Zhang, Yong; Klein, Jeffrey M.; Horton, Alexandre; Adhikari, Laxmi; Zelovich, Tamar; Doherty, Brian W.; Gurkan, Burcu; Maginn, Edward, J.; Ragauskas, Arthur; Dadmun, Mark; Zawodzinski, Thomas, A.; Baker, Gary, A.;Tuckerman, Mark E.; Savinell, Robert, F.; Sangoro, Joshua R. Chemical Reviews. (2021), 121(3), 1232-1285.
- Fabrication of lignocellulosic biomass paper containing nanofibrillated biomass. Bhagia, Samarthya; Dunlap, John R.; Khuraishi, Mohammed Zahid A.; Lowden, Richard R.; Muchero, Wellington; Vaidya, Uday K.; Pu, Yunqiao; Ragauskas, Arthur J. BioResources (2021), 16(1), 209-222.
- The physiochemical alteration of flax fibers structuring components after different scouring and bleaching treatments. Ding, Jinhua; Liang, Luna; Meng, Xianzhi; Yang, Fei; Pu, Yunqiao; Ragauskas, Arthur J.; Yoo, Chang Geun; Yu, Chongwen. Industrial Crops and Products (2021), 160, 113112.
- Influence of chain length in protic ionic liquids on physicochemical and structural features of lignins from sugarcane bagasse. Pin, Thaynara C.; Brenelli, Livia B.; Nascimento, Viviane M.; Costa, Aline C.; Pu, Yunqiao; Ragauskas, Arthur J.; Rabelo, Sarita C. Industrial Crops and Products (2021), 159, 113080.
- Synthesis and Characterization of Lignin-grafted-poly(ε-caprolactone) from Different Biomass Sources. Li, Mi; Pu, Yunqiao; Chen, Fang; Ragauskas, Arthur J. New Biotechnology (2021), 60, 189-199.
- Effect of endoglucanase and high-pressure homogenization post-treatments on mechanically grinded cellulose nanofibrils and their film performance. Xu, Ying; Yang, Shuang; Zhao, Peitao; Wu, Min; Song, Xueping; Ragauskas, Arthur J. Carbohydrate Polymers (2021), 253, 117253.
- A mechanistic study of cellulase adsorption onto lignin. Yao, Lan; Yang, Haitao; Yoo, Chang Geun; Chen, Congxin; Meng, Xianzhi; Dai, Jun; Yang, Chunlei; Yu, Jun; Ragauskas, Arthur J.; Chen, Xiong. Green Chemistry (2021), 23(1), 333-339.
- Sannigrahi, P.; Ragauskas, A.J.; Miller, S. J. Chlorine dioxide treatment of biomass feedstock useful in production of biofuel ethanol. U.S. Pat. Appl. Publ. (2012), US 20120040413 A1 20120216; PCT Int. Appl. (2012), WO 2012021725 A1 20120216.
- Ziemer, C.J.; Arcidiacono, S.; Ragauskas, A.; Morrison, M., Novel fibro-biotic bacterium isolate. U.S. Pat. Appl. Publ. (2011), US 20110076356 A1 Application: US 2009-569572 20090929. Priority: US 2009-569572 20090929.
- Deng, Y.; Yoon, S.Y.; Ragauskas, A.; White, D., Methods and Compositions for Papermaking. U.S. Pat. 7,964,063 B2 (2011).
- Ragauskas, Arthur J.; Kim, Dong Ho., Metal Substituted Xerogels for Improved Peroxide Bleaching of Kraft Pulps. U.S. Pat. Appl. Publ. (2003), CODEN: USXXCO US 2003019596 A1 20030130 CAN 138:108518 AN 2003:77170.
- Chakar, F.S; Ragauskas, A.J., Methods for Reducing Fluorescence in Paper-Containing Samples. Patent # 6,294,047 B1 & 6,387,211 B1 (2001).