Head, Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering; Granger and Beaman Distinguished University Professor; Director, Sustainable Energy Education and Research Center
- Office Address: 419 Dougherty Engineering Building
- Phone: 865-974-2035
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL, 1987
- MS in Chemical Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL, 1985
- BS in Chemical Engineering, minor in Mathematics, Ohio State University, Columbus, Summa Cum Laude, 1983
Bamin Khomami received his MS (1985) and PhD (1987) degrees in Chemical Engineering from the University of Illinois-Urbana. He is the Distinguished University Professor and Head of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at University of Tennessee, Knoxville (UT), a position he has held since 2006. In 2008, he became the founding director of the Sustainable Energy Education and Research at UT and in 2011 he received a dual appointment and became a Professor of Mechanical, Aerospace and Biomedical Engineering.
Prior to joining UT he was the Francis F. Ahmann Professor of Chemical Engineering at Washington University, where he started his academic career in 1987. In addition, between 1992 to 2006, he was a visiting Professor at Stanford University, Universidad Nacional De Education A Distancia (Spain), and the Technical University of Denmark.
Khomami’s current research interests include structure, dynamics and rheology of complex fluids and soft matter’ processing science of micro- and nano-structured materials with application to energy harvesting and quantum computing, and single polymer dynamics of simple and topologically complex macromolecules in the dilute, semi-dilute and entangled regimes. He has authored or co-authored over 190 archival journal publications and he currently serves on editorial boards of Journals of Rheology (2007-Present), Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics (2008-Present), and Applied Rheology (2007-Present). In January of 2015, he co-founded and became member of Board of Directors of Celtig, LLC. Celtig produces high-quality commercial quantities of graphene nanoplatelets or flakes marketed worldwide under the trade name “Cicarbo.”
Awards and Recognitions
- 2019 Fellow, Society of Rheology
- 2017 Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 2015 Fellow, American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- 2009 Fellow, American Physical Society
- 2007 University of Tennessee College of Engineering Outstanding Faculty Award
- 1995-Present Numerous distinguished lecture series
- 1993 Camille and Henry Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar National Award
- 1991-1996 NSF, Presidential Young Investigator (PYI) Award
- 1983-1987 University of Illinois Research Fellow
- Member of: (1) American Institute of Chemical Engineering (AIChE), (2) Society of Rheology (SOR), (3) American Chemical Society, and (4) American Physical Society (Division of Fluid Dynamics and High Polymer Physics).
- Member of editorial boards of: (1) Journal of Rheology, (2) Journal of non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, and (3) Applied Rheology.
- Guest-Editor of the special issue of Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics devoted to the XIIth International Workshop on Numerical Methods for Non-Newtonian Flows (2001).
- Chair, (2001) XIIth International Workshop on Numerical Methods for Non-Newtonian Flows.
- AIChE Fluid Dynamics Programming Committee (1999-Present); Bingham Medal Committee of SOR (member 1999-2000; chair 2000-2002).
- Member, ACS Murphree Award in Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, Nomination Committee (2008),
- Member of financial oversight Committee of society of Rheology (2017-present).
- Director, local AIChE Chapter in Oak Ridge/Knoxville (2015-Present).
- Structure, Dynamics and Rheology of Complex Fluids and Soft Matte Biohybrid energy harvesting materials
- Biohybrid materials for next generation quantum simulation and computing
- Single Macromolecular Dynamics and Biophysics
- Multiscale Modeling and Simulation of Complex Systems
- Processing Science of Micro- and Nano-Structured Material
- Nafar Sefiddashti, M. H., Boudaghi-Khajehnobar, M., Edwards, B. J., & Khomami, B. (2020). High-fidelity scaling relationships for determining dissipative particle dynamics parameters from atomistic molecular dynamics simulations of polymeric liquids. Scientific Reports, 10(1). doi:10.1038/s41598-020-61374-8
- Edwards, B., Khomami, B., & Nafar Sefiddashti, M. (2020). Flow-Induced Crystallization of a Polyethylene Liquid Above the Melting Temperature and Its Nonequilibrium Phase Diagram. In AIChE Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA.
- Edwards, B., Khomami, B., & Nafar Sefiddashti, M. (2020). Effects of Chain Length and Polydispersity Length on Shear Banding in Simple Shear Flow of Polymeric Melts. In AIChE Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA.
- Edwards, B., Khomami, B., & Nafar Sefiddashti, M. (2020). Flow-induced phenomena in planar extensional flows of entangled polyethylene liquids. In 18th International Congress on Rheology. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Seol, M. L., Nam, I., Ribeiro, E. L., Segel, B., Lee, D., Palma, T., . . . Meyyappan, M. (2020). All-Printed In-Plane Supercapacitors by Sequential Additive Manufacturing Process. ACS Applied Energy Materials, 3(5), 4965-4973. doi:10.1021/acsaem.0c00510
- Edwards, B., Khomami, B., & Nafar Sefiddashti, M. (2020). Microphase separation in entangled polymeric solutions in extensional flows. In American Physical Society Annual Meeting. Denver, CO.
- Aranha, M. P., Mukherjee, D., Petridis, L., & Khomami, B. (2020). An Atomistic Molecular Dynamics Study of Titanium Dioxide Adhesion to Lipid Bilayers. Langmuir, 36(4), 1043-1052. doi:10.1021/acs.langmuir.9b03075
- Ye, X., & Khomami, B. (2020). Self-assembly of linear diblock copolymers in selective solvents: From single micelles to particles with tri-continuous inner structures. Soft Matter, 16(26), 6056-6062. doi:10.1039/d0sm00402b
- Nafar Sefiddashti, M. H., Edwards, B. J., & Khomami, B. (n.d.). Flow-induced crystallization of a polyethylene liquid above the melting temperature and its nonequilibrium phase diagram. Physical Review Research, 2(1). doi:10.1103/physrevresearch.2.013035
- Bennett, T. H., Pamu, R., Yang, G., Mukherjee, D., & Khomami, B. (n.d.). A new platform for development of photosystem I based thin films with superior photocurrent: TCNQ charge transfer salts derived from ZIF-8. Nanoscale Advances. doi:10.1039/d0na00220h
- Song, J., Teng, H., Liu, N., Ding, H., Lu, X. Y., & Khomami, B. (2019). The correspondence between drag enhancement and vortical structures in turbulent Taylor-Couette flows with polymer additives: A study of curvature dependence. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 602-616. doi:10.1017/jfm.2019.760
- Sefiddashti, M. N., & Khomami, B. (2019). Microphase separation in entangled polymeric solutions. In AIChE Annual Meeting. Orlando, FL.
- Sefiddashti, M. N., & Khomami, B. (2019). Elucidating the molecular rheology of entangled polymeric fluids via direct comparison of NEMD simulations and model predictions. In AIChE Annual Meeting. Orlando, FL.
- Sefiddashti, M. N., & Khomami, B. (2019). Microphase separation in entangled polymeric solutions. In The Society of Rheology 91st Annual Meeting. Raleigh, NC.
- Nafar Sefiddashti, M. H., Edwards, B. J., & Khomami, B. (2019). Elucidating the Molecular Rheology of Entangled Polymeric Fluids via Comparison of Atomistic Simulations and Model Predictions. Macromolecules, 52(21), 8124-8143. doi:10.1021/acs.macromol.9b01099
- Ribeiro, E. L., Davari, S. A., Hu, S., Mukherjee, D., & Khomami, B. (2019). Laser-induced synthesis of ZIF-67: A facile approach for the fabrication of crystalline MOFs with tailored size and geometry. Materials Chemistry Frontiers, 3(7), 1302-1309. doi:10.1039/c8qm00671g
- Sefiddashti, M. H. N., Edwards, B. J., & Khomami, B. (2019). Individual molecular dynamics of an entangled polyethylene melt undergoing steady shear flow: Steady-state and transient dynamics. Polymers, 11(3). doi:10.3390/polym11030476
- Bennett, T. H., Vaughn, M. D., Davari, S. A., Park, K., Mukherjee, D., & Khomami, B. (2019). Jolly green MOF: Confinement and photoactivation of photosystem i in a metal-organic framework. Nanoscale Advances, 1(1), 94-104. doi:10.1039/c8na00093j
- Nafar Sefiddashti, M. H., Edwards, B. J., & Khomami, B. (2018). Configurational Microphase Separation in Elongational Flow of an Entangled Polymer Liquid. Physical Review Letters, 121(24). doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.121.247802
- Sefiddashti, M. N., & Khomami, B. (2018). Configurational microphase separation in elongational flow of an entangled polymer liquid. In The Society of Rheology 90th Annual Meeting. Houston, TX.
- Sefiddashti, M. N., & Khomami, B. (2018). A coil-stretch transition in planar elongational flow of an entangled polymeric melt. In The Society of Rheology 90th Annual Meeting. Houston, TX.
- Teng, H., Liu, N., Lu, X., & Khomami, B. (2018). Turbulent drag reduction in plane Couette flow with polymer additives: A direct numerical simulation study. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 846, 482-507. doi:10.1017/jfm.2018.242
- Niroomand, H., Pamu, R., Mukherjee, D., & Khomami, B. (2018). Tuning the photocurrent generations from photosystem i assembled in tailored biotic-abiotic interfaces. MRS Communications, 8(3), 823-829. doi:10.1557/mrc.2018.83
- Edwards, C. N., Nafar Sefiddashti, M. H., Edwards, B. J., & Khomami, B. (2018). In-plane and out-of-plane rotational motion of individual chain molecules in steady shear flow of polymer melts and solutions. Journal of Molecular Graphics and Modelling, 81, 184-196. doi:10.1016/j.jmgm.2018.03.003
- Sefiddashti, M. H. N., Edwards, B., & Khomami, B. (2018). Molecular rheology of entangled polymeric fluids: Understanding bulk flow behavior based on single molecule dynamics. In Annual European Rheology Conference. Sorrento, Italy.
- Nafar Sefiddashti, M. H., Edwards, B. J., & Khomami, B. (2018). Communication: A coil-stretch transition in planar elongational flow of an entangled polymeric melt. Journal of Chemical Physics, 148(14). doi:10.1063/1.5026792
- Mai, D. J., Saadat, A., Khomami, B., & Schroeder, C. M. (2018). Stretching Dynamics of Single Comb Polymers in Extensional Flow. Macromolecules, 51(4), 1507-1517. doi:10.1021/acs.macromol.7b02759
- Pamu, R., Sandireddy, V. P., Kalyanaraman, R., Khomami, B., & Mukherjee, D. (2018). Plasmon-Enhanced Photocurrent from Photosystem i Assembled on Ag Nanopyramids. Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, 9(5), 970-977. doi:10.1021/acs.jpclett.7b03255
- Niroomand, H., Pamu, R., Mukherjee, D., & Khomami, B. (2018). Microenvironment alterations enhance photocurrents from photosystem i confined in supported lipid bilayers. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 6(26), 12281-12290. doi:10.1039/c8ta00898a