- Office Address: 427C Dougherty Engineering Building
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- PhD, Louisiana State University: Selected Problems in Direct Digital Control
Charles Moore earned his bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering in 1966, his MS in 1968, and PhD in 1969, all from Louisiana State University. His dissertation research was in the relatively new area of using digital computers to directly control chemical processes.
After the completion of his PhD, Moore joined the faculty of the Department of Chemical Engineering at the University of Tennessee, where, for nearly 40 years he has taught courses in chemical engineering and conducted research on modeling, optimization, and control. He officially retired Spring 2006 but continues to work part time.
During his career at UT, Moore served for over 15 years as Co-Technical Director of the Measurement and Control Engineering Center, an NSF sponsored industrial consortium. He also served as Head of the Chemical Engineering Department from 1993 to 1999. He has authored or co-authored numerous technical papers and has contributed chapters to 6 textbooks. Throughout his career, he has been a very active industrial consultant. He has worked for over 30 companies and has taught numerous industrial short courses and seminars in the US and Europe.
Awards and Recognitions
- 1973 College of Engineering Outstanding Young Teacher Award
- 1985 Nancy and Leon Cole Outstanding Teaching Award
- 1987 Allen and Hoshall Distinguished Professor Award
- 1988 M. E. and Mayme Brooks Award for Excellence in Teaching and Distinction in the Practice of Engineering
- 1989 Alumni Distinguished Service Professor
- AIChE Member
- ISA Member
- Process Measurement, Modeling, Control and Optimization
- Sensor Selection and Location
- Batch Process Control
- Plant-Wide Analysis and Control
- Statistical Process Control
- Moore C.F., Kaistha N., and M.S. Johnson, "Monitoring and analysis of batch profiles," Journal of Process Analytical Chemistry, V(1,2), 65-79 (2000).
- Kaistha, N., and Moore C.F., "Extraction of event times in batch profiles for time synchronization and quality predictions," Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 40 (1), 252-260 (2001).
- Kaistha, N, Johnson M.S., Leitnaker M.G. and Moore C.F., "On-line batch recipe adjustments for product quality control using empirical models: Application to a nylon-6,6 process," ISA Transactions, 42 (2), 305-315.
- Kaistha, N, Moore C.F., and Leitnaker M.G., "An SPC framework for the characterization of batch profiles," Technometrics, 46 (1), 53-68 (2004).