Associate Head, Director of Undergraduate Studies, and Associate Professor
- Office Address: 427B Dougherty Engineering Building
- Phone: 865-974-6362
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- PhD, Illinois: Molecular biotechnology and bioengineering, protein engineering and directed evolution.
Boder received his BS degree Summa Cum Laude in Chemical Engineering from Washington University in 1993 and earned MS and PhD degrees in Chemical Engineering from the University of Illinois in 1996 and 1999, respectively. His thesis research focused on molecular engineering of single-chain antibodies by yeast display and directed evolution.
Following a short postdoc studying T cell immunology at National Jewish Medical and Research Center in Denver, Colorado, Boder joined the faculty in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at the University of Pennsylvania in 2000. In 2007, he joined the faculty at UT, where his research program focuses on protein engineering and applied molecular biology.
Awards and Recognitions
- 2010 Tom and Ruth Clark Award for Excellence in Chemical Engineering Education
- 2003 National Science Foundation CAREER Award
- 2002 NAE Frontiers of Engineering Invitee
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- Society for Biological Engineering
- American Chemical Society Division of Biochemical Technology
- American Society for Engineering Education
- Biomolecular engineering applications in immune function
- Viral membrane fusion proteins
- Molecular switching and cell adhesion proteins
- Protein immobilizing and modifying enzymes
- M. Raeeszadeh-Sarmazdeh, R. Parthasarathy, and E.T. Boder: "Fine-tuning sortase-mediated immobilization of protein layers on surfaces using sequential deprotection and coupling." Biotechnol. Prog., 33(3):824-831 (2017).
- Q. Chen, Q. Sun, N. Molino, S-W. Wang, E. T. Boder, and W. Chen: "Sortase A-mediated multi-functionalization of protein nanoparticles." Chem. Commun., 51(60):12107-10 (2015).
- M. Raeeszadeh-Sarmazdeh, R. Parthasarathy, and E.T. Boder: "Site-specific immobilization of protein layers on gold surfaces via orthogonal sortases." Colloids Surf. B Biointerfaces, 128:457-463 (2015).
- R.K. Le, M. Raeeszadeh-Sarmazdeh, E.T. Boder, and P.D. Frymier: "Sortase-Mediated Ligation of PsaE-Modified Photosystem I from Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803 to a Conductive Surface for Enhanced Photocurrent Production on a Gold Electrode." Langmuir, 31:1180-1188 (2015).
- S. Narasimhan, J. Coumou, T.J. Schuijt, E. Boder, J.W. Hovius, and E. Fikrig: "A Tick Gut protein with Fibronectin III domains Aids Borrelia burgdorferi Congregation to the Gut During Transmission." PLoS Pathogens, 10(8): e1004278 (2014).
- L.R. Pepper, R. Parthasarathy, G.P. Robbins, N.N. Dang, D.A. Hammer, and E.T. Boder: "Isolation of αL I Domain Mutants Mediating Firm Cell Adhesion Using a Novel Flow-Based Sorting Method." Protein Eng. Des. Sel., 26: 515-521 (2013).
- P. Hu, R.J. Whitener, E. Boder, J. Chen, and L. Zhao: "Effects of Parabens on Adipocyte Differentiation." Toxicol. Sci., 131:56-70 (2013).
- E.T. Boder: "Protein engineering: Tighter ties that bind." Nature, 484:463–464 (2012).
- E.T. Boder, M. Raeeszadeh-Sarmazdeh, and J.V. Price: "Engineering Antibodies by Yeast Display." Arch. Bioch. Biophys., 526:99-106 (2012).
- J. Haun, L. Pepper, E. Boder, and D. Hammer: "Using Engineered Single-Chain Antibodies to Correlate Molecular Binding Properties and Nanoparticle Adhesion Dynamics." Langmuir, 27(22):13701-13712 (2011).
- 11. E.T. Boder and W. Jiang: "Engineering antibodies for cancer therapy." Ann. Rev. Chem. Biomol. Eng., 2:53-75 (2011)
D.A. Levary, R. Parthasarathy, E.T. Boder, and M.E. Ackerman: "Protein-Protein Fusion Catalyzed by Sortase A." PLoS ONE, 6(4): e18342 (2011).
- M. Shpilman, L. Niv-Spector, M. Katz, C. Varol, G. Solomon, M. Ayalon-Soffer, E. Boder, Z. Halpern, E. Elinav, and A. Gertler: "Development and characterization of high-affinity leptins and leptin antagonists." J. Biol. Chem., 286:4429-4442 (2011).
- T.J. Schuit, S. Narasimhan, S. Daffre, K. DePonte, J.W.R. Hovius, C. vant Veer, T. van der Poll, K. Bakhtiari, J.C. Meijers, E.T. Boder, A.P. van Dam, and E. Fikrig: "Identification of Ixodes scapularis antigens that elicit tick immunity using yeast surface display." PLoS ONE, 6(1): e15926 (2011).
- W. Jiang and E.T. Boder: "High-throughput engineering and analysis of peptide binding to class II MHC." Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 107:13258-13263 (2010).
- US Patent 8,372,636 B2 (2013): Yeast cell surface display of proteins and uses thereof
- Australian Patent 2007200355 (2011): Yeast cell surface display of proteins and uses thereof
- US Patent 7,465,787 (2008): Yeast cell surface display of proteins and uses thereof
- Australian Patent 2003204510 (2006): Yeast cell surface display of proteins and uses thereof
- US Patent 6,699,658 (2004): Yeast cell surface display of proteins and uses thereof
- US Patent 6,696,251 (2004): Yeast cell surface display of proteins and uses thereof
- US Patent 6,423,538 (2002): Yeast cell surface display of proteins and uses thereof
- US Patent 6,300,065 (2001): Yeast cell surface display of proteins and uses thereof