Eastman Professor of Practice
- Office Address: 437 Dougherty Engineering
- Phone: 865-974-4820
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- PhD, Chemical Engineering, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas
Sankar Raghavan is an experienced chemical engineer with nearly twenty nine years of experience in the chemical industry.
He is well versed in process development, technology transfer, manufacturing, trouble shooting and compliance aspects of pharmaceutical and specialty chemical processes. He has a record of developing innovative solutions to difficult engineering problems. He has received several technical achievement awards for his contributions. Raghavan is a certified Merck Sigma Green Belt.
Since retiring from Merck & Company in 2013, Raghavan is pursuing a career in academia. Prior to joining the University of Tennessee, he was an adjunct professor in the Chemical Engineering departments at Johns Hopkins University, Maryland and Bucknell University, Pennsylvania.
Awards and Recognitions
- 2013 Merck Sigma Green Belt
- 2002, 2010, 2011, 2012 Merck Technical Achievement Award
- 1987 NSF sponsored training in Supercomputing – Cornell Theory Center
- AIChE (American Institute of Chemical Engineers)
- ASEE (American Society of Engineering Education)
- Engineering Pedagogy
- Raghavan, S.V., Foster, Kopas and Warner, "Process Robustness Aided by Retrospective Multivariate Data Analysis of Factory Data – a Case Study," Paper presented at the AIChE National Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA, 2012.
- Raghavan, S.V., Mathews, A.P., and Fan, L.T., "Effects of solute concentration and geometric characteristics of particles on adsorber dynamics," Third Int. Conf. On Fundamentals of Adsorption, Nutringen, FRG, 7-12 May 1989.
- Raghavan, S.V., Fan, L.T. and Mathews, A.P., "Modeling Adsorption in Liquid-Solid Fluidized Beds," Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 44, No. 10, pp 2333-2344, 1989.
- Raghavan, S.V., R.P. Chambers, Mary Myles and Y.Y. Lee, "Kinetic Modeling and Reactor Development for Hemicellulose Hydrolysis," Presented at the AIChE Conference, 1982.
- Raghavan, S.V., Y.Y. Lee and R.P. Chambers, "Fermentative Conversion of Xylose into Chemicals." Proceedings of the TAPPI conference, Atlanta, Georgia, 1980